What's new
What's new

HAAS Questions

gunny

Plastic
Hello.
Since this is my first post ill introduce my self briefly .
I'm 20 and barely a skilled machinist iv worked on both Mills and Lathes.
but am able to program and set 90% of jobs i have been given in the last year now. i have a intrest in machnining and enjoy doing it.
but now i currently working as the only CNC machinist in a company that is most a sheet metal workshop .

OK i have always worked on HAAS mills and they all seem to do things slightly different .

My first Issue is about the part zero set button.-

in the first company i worked for the way they used to set the Z datum on a job
was to have a pin that was set at 0. on the tool length geometry. touch on the job of the job and press part zero set and then touch all the tools on to that point and press Tool offset measure . but if i was to touch on the same point again with the pin and press tool offset measure it would = to 0.

But.. wher i am working now it doesnt seem to work like that if i was to touch on the top with a tool set and 0. and then press part zero set and then press tool offset measure it would match the Z geometry.

but iv found a way around it now and its all good.

Second problem
and this one i realy cant understaind

on the both HAAS lathes and Mills iv worked on in fact all the machines iv never seen this.if i want to rerun a tool or something i would uselay go into edit and come down the start of that tool T1 M6 ( 20mm Endmill );
and press opstop and it would just pick up that tool ect.

but theys to HAASes im working on VF2 and a MiniMill seem to work differently
when i press start again in memory instead of jumping down to where i left it in EDIT. it quickly runs down tho all of the program. not moving anything until it gets to the line before where it will pick up the last tool in that Line move the last X Y position and run the spindle at the last known speed.
this is going to be a majour problem because im about to start a job that is majourly hanging over the Y of the table and would probably smash the back of the machine if it moved like that . :confused:

Any way of turning that off ?

sorry my explaining skills are to great looking forward to your explanations.

Regarding your second question I think the two have PROGRAM RESTART set differently.

Find SETTING 36, go to the Settings page, type 36 and down arrow.

When Setting 36 is on and you start part way down a program the machine scrolls through the program to get all the offsets correct and the correct tool in the spindle then it moves to the last X, Y, Z position above your restart point. This is the move you are getting.

When Setting 36 is off it just starts immediately at the point you are at in the program; You have to make sure the correct tool is in the spindle and all the correct offsets have been picked up!!!

setting tool length offsets on a haas

Hi gunny,
The only way i can best describe tool lengths is, the machine needs to calculate differences in tool lengths from the spindle to the tip of the tool as each will be different. So each tool will be effectively the same length as it enters the part.Each Company Ive worked for does it differently, many set all tool lengths to the top of the part your cutting then they also work offsets Z zero there too. Where i am working now we set all tools with a 123 block on the 2" side on the machine table and and then with 123 block on top of the part for Work offset Z then during program verification we will run the program 2" above the part and look for problems and crashes and such. I guess what im saying is how ever you touch off tools in the end your still just finding the length differences from one tool to another, it really doesent matter as long as you do it the same for all tools and it is good to standardize your sequence of set up operations so it becomes habit, and all operators of same machines to do it the same way too is a good idea ( 100 ways to skin a cat they all look the same when your done)

I'm trying to imagine a move in a program that would cause the machine to crash if it reran the program from the beginning up to an intermediate line, but did not crash when it actually executed the whole program. The only thing I can think of, is that you should have the program broken up into two (or perhaps more) programs, instead of linking several different part setups together with M0's in one giant program. Is that what is going on?

Actually, I have encountered this first move problem occurring with movements only in the Z axis, when restarting a 4th axis program, where Z0 is coincident with the indexer axis. That first movement after restart seems like it may want to move somewhere in Z that is not actually in the program......I've never figured it out yet.....but it could be delayed implementation of a Z offset, either the tool, or the Z workshift........I'm on my guard when restarting 4th axis work anyways :D

To be safe when using RESTART I try to make the start point immediately after a tool change but before setting the G43 for the tool. This way the 'immediately preceding machine position' that it goes to before starting to run the program has Z at the tool change position.

Years ago I did mdiscover a glitch associated with the mirror function. If the immediately preceding machine position is before the mirror command but the restart position is after it will go to the mirrored coordinates which can have unfortunate results when a fixture occupies that position.

Gunny

Why is the restart bother you?
UNless you're in a T-slot and start from somewhere in the middle of it, there are absolutely nothing you should be worried about.
As you've stated, the machine moves to Z-toolchange, then above the X/Y of the previous block, picks up toollength, diameter, workoffset, moves down to the exact X/Y/Z, starts spindle, starts coolant, rapids to your start point and machines away.
I cannot envision ( tough might exist) a condition where this would not be the preferred restart method.

As far as the tool length pickup, there are a few different ways of doing it so, but you are likely stuck with what your company is using.

Some backfacing, debrurring back-faces and threadmill ops are other areas of concern when restarting. But as Mr Dung mentioned, we be real carefull when restarting those ops anyway.

Cheers the changing of the setting worked well

i mean if i started from like
T5 M6 (Spot Drill)
for some reason it would pick up the last tool and move the last X Y
anyway that's all sorted to how i am used to

and iv got used to the tool high , still don't understand how the part zero set works tho ,

Cheers for the heads up guys

Back