What's new
What's new

Keep on runnin'

Dave Gischel

Plastic
Need some expertise from y'all. I just set-up and programmed to drill two #31 thru holes in .030 thick plastic. 1,000 parts. Total run time is 12 seconds each part. I do not want to turn the machine on and off 1,000 times unless I have to. M00 turns off the spindel and pause delay is out of the question. Any ideas on keepin' the spindel turning prior to hitting the green button?

HDPG and Slowride, Thanks for the fast reply. The part is 1/2" x 1-1/2" high x 2" long and closed on 5 sides. Set up is very fast and simple. The cost of the job will not justify a second vise. Good idea though.

Kinda sounds like a good job for a manual mill or even drill press with a drill jig. Let the CNC machines do more complex things while drilling these other parts.

Try M\99 after a safe Z retract and Y home, but before Z home and M30.
You better be fast on the feed hold, or you can program a 5 sec. or so
pause. Use as many vises or fixtures as practical. Turn coolant off on Z
retract. Press cycle start after reload. For break, lunch, outhouse visits,
or quittin' time press block delete and everything goes home and shuts down.

Ford

Don't worry about starting the spindle 1000 times, the machine will be able to handle it. Shortest cycle I ever ran was 7 seconds; the machine doesn't mind going that fast but the person loading the parts gets pooped out.:D

at the end of the program...
M9
(DELETE M5)
GO G91 G28 Z0.
G28 Y0.
M01
\M99
M30
Take out all your other op-stops (m01), doesn't sound like you're doing a toolchange, it will be bueno. Like has been mentioned, \M99 works great when you are doing a loop, run with block delete off, and when your ready for a break turn it on and let it hit the M30 and shut the spindle down.

Unless this a small machine, why send Z axis all the
way home when say, six inches will do? Have done
a similar one tool job on 600 pcs. on a VF-3 and it made
a big reduction in time. Worked my a$$ off though.

Ford

HAHA yeah, sometimes you have to "time" the machine to finish the same time as you get done with debur, whatever else you need to do in order to load another part in. Otherwise, you can wear yourself out in a hurry!

No doubt...but in my case no deburr was necessary per the customer.
The OP did'nt specify anything in particular exept keeping the spindle
running w\o program stops.

Ford

Back