What's new
What's new

Whirring sounds from SL20 spindle

david n

Diamond
My '06 SL20 started to make a whirring sound this week. Never been crashed, sruface finishes are still good. What gives? I talked with a service tech (my buddy's brother) and he was fairly confident is wasn't the bearings but thought there could be a voltage problem. He mentioned taking off the drive belts to be sure it wasn't the spindle. Anyone ever have this happen?

One of my Haas lathes started making a funny noise and I traced it to some chips that had embedded in the toothed belt driving the spindle. Go over every inch of the belt to check for something like this, or for bits of teeth missing before getting more deeply involved.

I wish it was as simple as chips in the belt. I dug around a little and talked to the service guy and come to find that the solenoid valve that supplies the spindle with the air/oil mist was not opening. My spindle has been running for the last few days w/o oil!!!! I'm going to order a new valve in the morning and run the noisy bastard as is. She's pretty noisy. I wonder how many hours I have left on this spindle? 10? 100? 1000? Anyone here ever change the spindle cartridge before?

Well, I have a new spindle cartridge on the way. (new solenoid too) The local HFO service guy is going to put her in. It should be here Monday. I'm still running parts, but she sure is noisy. Luckily I have a rider on my biz insurance to cover the cost!

New spindle is in and we're crankin out parts again. All this trouble from a little ole solenoid valve. There is a pressure sensor for the air going to the valve, but not on the out bound air/oil side. Wouldn't that make more sense? The Haas tech says he has replaced a vert mill spindle or two that were fried due to the same solenoid valve failing.

Back