What's new
What's new

VF7 servo tuning

doug6949

Hot Rolled
We've had some problems with rigid tapping since the machine was new. After breaking two taps this week I started wondering about following error and axis tuning.

The Z axis has always had a slight creep at the end of a jog move. I can touch off a feeler gage and the slip fit becomes an interference about 1-2 seconds after the last click of the dial. This is well beyond the settling time of a properly tuned servo.

Poking thru the parameter tables I noticed PID values are the same on all three axis'. While this is normal for a starting point when installing a new control it seems odd for a machine in service. Am I missing something?

Phone into Haas tech support and ask for the parameter settings. That way you can compare and see if someone forgot to input the correct values for your particular machine.

P,I, and D are generally somewhat different on each individual machine. I have never seen them identical on all three axis. They are usually determined with an oscilloscope or tuning software during the final setup of the machine.

The fact that all three axis' are the same leads me to believe the final tuning was not done.

I suppose it's time to call Haas again.

Back