What's new
What's new

How to solve the TL-1 coolant mess?

Spencer in NH

Stainless
Got my TL-1, starting to get everything figured out. Keeping the coolant off the floor, however, still eludes me.

I have some ideas for dams to direct the flow into the center channel, but I would like to hear about other peoples solutions.

Pictures would be great.

Thanks.

Maybe take a look at one of the minimum lube systems.
02A0-STD_closed.jpg

http://www.itwfpg.com/acculube/applicators.html

We have good luck on our open mills with these units. I don't see why it would not work on a lathe.

At the last shop I worked at we bought a TL1 and had to make and attach a wiper to the back of the headstock that would scrape the sliding door. Also a tube of silicone to fix some crappy welding. After that it all worked pretty well, had to add a check valve in the coolant line tool

Spencer,

I made a nice pan to put on the floor, not very attractive but it catches most everything that drips off of the carrage. I made a plug for the spindle hole and added a small sheet metal strip to fill the gap behind the swing down shield. I have an older model machine so yours may be different.

Doesnt keep everything inside but it does the trick most of the time.

Charles

At the last shop I worked at we bought a TL1 and had to make and attach a wiper to the back of the headstock that would scrape the sliding door. Also a tube of silicone to fix some crappy welding. After that it all worked pretty well, had to add a check valve in the coolant line tool

Already put the check valve in... one of the in-line LOC-LINE units. I know exactly what you mean about the wiper. I put a scrap bar across the crosslide to essentially do the same thing.

Spencer,

I made a nice pan to put on the floor, not very attractive but it catches most everything that drips off of the carrage. I made a plug for the spindle hole and added a small sheet metal strip to fill the gap behind the swing down shield. I have an older model machine so yours may be different.

Doesnt keep everything inside but it does the trick most of the time.

Charles

I think the drip pan is a good idea.

Oh, I forgot to mention.... Modelling Clay for the WIN. Worked great!!

I use a unit called a Fog Buster. It uses compressed air. You put 40 psi in to the unit, then regulate it down to about 6 psi, to feed the nozzles. I use about 3 to 5 ounces of coolant per day with my Fog Buster. They're not cheap. I paid about $450.00 for mine almost 5 years ago. I had one on my Haas, one on my Fadal, and one on my conventional mill. The nice thing is they don't fog up the room with the spray. The only proplem is you can't use a parafin based coolant. It clogs the jets and the won't spray.

I second Steve's reply. I also use Fog Busters on both my mill tm-2 and tl-2 lathe. Drilling deep holes is the only time I would need to use flood. I use the same cutting fluid as i do for flood.

We just got our new TL2 up and running yesterday.. We are gonna have the same problem.

We have a TL-2 and the coolant was aweful, however we had our Fab shop make us a trough that we bolted to the front of the Machine. The trough covered the length of the machine and on one end we made a drain that would return the coolant to the tank, we also had a piece made that was like a movable guard that attaches to the trough so you can move it where needed or not use it at all. This system work real good, I will take a picture and post it on here later.

Pics please!!! We have thought about something like that, but have been so busy we haven't taken the time. We really love our machine but hate the mess.

We have a TL-2 and the coolant was aweful, however we had our Fab shop make us a trough that we bolted to the front of the Machine. The trough covered the length of the machine and on one end we made a drain that would return the coolant to the tank, we also had a piece made that was like a movable guard that attaches to the trough so you can move it where needed or not use it at all. This system work real good, I will take a picture and post it on here later.

sorry,

we have been swamped, was going to load pics this morning when I came in and found out the camera is not here, will get it tonight and load in the morning. Very sorry for delay.

This hasn't "solved" the mess, but it has cut down the coolant puddle by 90%. There is still some coolant that gets blown over the back splash guard when the spindle runs at high rpm. Another trough on the back side would help there. There is also some coolant that gets away when cutting parts outside the chuck guard and some gets sucked through the spindle. I'm pretty happy with the results though.
picture.php

Just 3" aluminum channel mounted at an incline on the front of the machine. A piece of AL angle is used to attach another channel section that directs coolant back into the coolant tank. A bead of silicon between the top of the channel and the lathe directs coolant into the trough instead of behind it.

Hope this helps...

Eric

Edster,

Thanks for the compliment.

I tried all the damming, curtains, and shields I could think of but I would still get coolant dripping off the apron onto the floor right at my feet. I figure a 90% solution is better than no coolant.

Eric

This hasn't "solved" the mess, but it has cut down the coolant puddle by 90%. There is still some coolant that gets blown over the back splash guard when the spindle runs at high rpm. Another trough on the back side would help there. There is also some coolant that gets away when cutting parts outside the chuck guard and some gets sucked through the spindle. I'm pretty happy with the results though.
picture.php

Just 3" aluminum channel mounted at an incline on the front of the machine. A piece of AL angle is used to attach another channel section that directs coolant back into the coolant tank. A bead of silicon between the top of the channel and the lathe directs coolant into the trough instead of behind it.

Hope this helps...

Eric

Now why didnt Haas do something that simple to solve most of that problem? Our is a mess and I will try the same thing. We have had it a couple of months and it has been running wide open. So no real time to do add ons. But that is a great idea!!!! Maybe you need to patend that and sell it also. Butch

Back