What's new
What's new

Reducing offsets to compensate for tool wear

StreetSpeed

Hot Rolled
Folks,

This probably isn't Haas specific, but I don't know the answer to this basic question: How can I reduce the offset of my tool as it's moving through the program? I want to spread out .0007 tool wear over 15 parts, so is that something I do in the code or is there a feature I can access on the control? These are on 2006 and newer VF-2, and VF-3s, and VF-5.

I can only think of 2 ways.
Either use separate diameter offsets ( D-words) for each fixture offset, or use G10 to shift a small amount when needed.
Since your problem does require predictability, a nudge within the program by using G10 may be the better solution.

If you put in a M00 to stop the program I think you can manually change the offsets or put an entry in wear and rthe machine reads thre new value the next time that offset is used.

I would tend to go with the G10 option myself. It is pretty much pefect for this application.
Tony would likely bust out the Pink Floyd and do it with macro code. But for us mere mortals I would stay with G10;)

:D

I would write a few lines of code to track the parts and adjust the wear to the tool as you go. I don’t know much about Haas as I run mainly Fanuc among a few others.

First thing you are going to need is the variable for the tool offset wear. Let’s say for example it is #2200. So this means #2201 is for tool 1, #2202 is tool 2 etc. Let’s say again for example we are going to use tool 2(#2202). You are going to spread this through 15 parts so I ass u me that you don’t want an adjustment on the first pc but divided up over the remaining 14. We are going to use #500 as the variable to count your parts but you can use anyone you want but I would keep it above #500.

O0001(part program)
IF[#500GT0]TH#2202=#2202-.000046

…your code here

#500=#500+1
IF[#500EQ15]GOTO100
M30
N100M0
(CHANGE INSERTS THEN)
(CYCLE START TO CLEAR COUNTERS)
#500=0
#2202=0
M30

You don’t need the notes and stuff if you don’t want to but I just ass u me that after the 15 parts you were changing inserts or tools. The only problem I see is the adjustment of such a small amount. Again as I stated before I don’t know how the Haas is but on my controls we only have 4 places past decimal (.xxxx) so I don’t know if it will take the adjustment. If that is the case then the way around that would be to adjust .0001 every 2pcs. This would take some different code so just let me know if that’s the case and I will rewrite it.

Stevo

Back