What's new
What's new

'09 VF-2 not sure how to use tool/work probes

Nick H

Aluminum
Picked up a new VF-2 this month (our first CNC mill ever) Needless to say I'm uneasy about just jumping into using the probes since we are not able to get into training till next month.

Can anyone guide me with some do and don't for the probes and if it's not to much trouble maybe a run down on how to use them. The only tool eye I've ever used in on a Daewoo lathe that requires you to jog the tool tips on to a 4 axis probe to touch off your tools. From what I've read it looks like the Haas does this in a completely different approach. (automatically with tool dimension info)

Juat checking

Picked up a new VF-2 this month (our first CNC mill ever) Needless to say I'm uneasy about just jumping into using the probes since we are not able to get into training till next month.

Can anyone guide me with some do and don't for the probes and if it's not to much trouble maybe a run down on how to use them. The only tool eye I've ever used in on a Daewoo lathe that requires you to jog the tool tips on to a 4 axis probe to touch off your tools. From what I've read it looks like the Haas does this in a completely different approach. (automatically with tool dimension info)

I've ran more than 1 Haas In my day and never used or seen a probe. Must be new. Wish I could help. I used to edge find the part set the offsets. Touch the tools off of a Joe Block or top of material and Minus whatever for a cleanup...........Mike Hoffman;)

use the VQC for the probing cycles.

EDIT

F1

scroll down to Visual "not regular quick code"

then theres about 20 differant spindle probes and 9 tool setter options.

first thing youll do is callibrate the spindle probe to a known concentric diameter ring

then calibrate the spindle probe to the tsr-27 tool probe.

after that your ready to go.

switching to probes is like going from a yugo to a Farrari.

Howdy Nick,

HAAS is a fairly cheap, entry level machine and it does most things fairly Well.

BUT,,

One thing it does Excellently is Probe.

I have been around Machines for over 40 years now and I am still impressed with the probing software on the HAAS. This is the easiest by far of any software I have seen to date.

The power the operator now has to help him set up a part is exceptional.

Take a look through those Youtube movies to glimpse the power of the software.

And on your first run through, Have your rapids and feed rates turned down and keep one finger on the feed hold button and run your first run with Single Block on.

Keeping one eye on the control and keeping in your mind where the tool is going next.

This will remove any fear of what is happening and you are now in control.

Good Luck

Mohawk

Back