What's new
What's new

07 SL10 taper issues

btomlinson

Plastic
Hello everyone, about three months ago I purchased SL10BB that was repo'd by a west coast bank. Upon receiving the machine I noticed where they crashed the turret into the chuck. When turning long parts there is .005 taper over about 8 inches. This is with and without the tail stock.

99% of my work is small and short parts and it runs like a top, However I need to get this sorted out. Has anyone seen a issue like this on their SL ? It appears to me that the carriage has moved ??

While I don't know how common it is, Chucker is correct about the spindle, rather than the turret being out.
I did hit mine once with a 5/8 boring bar, and had a 3" SS slug slip out and jam between the facing tool and teh chuck. The second one was far worse than the first, but even that only moved the turret face a little. No measureable taper whatsoever over 3".
You could put a ground bar in the spindle and indicate it.
Then, you'll have to remove the front sheetmetal, loosen the bolts on the head and tap it back in.

Making a guess tough that spindles get whacked often enough....

Turrent vs spindle

We have a sl20 and a sl10. The sl20 had a problem a while back and I think they adjusted the turrent on that one. The 10 had a issue but the Haas tech. found it was not that much out so we left it alone. It is maybe .0009 over six inches. The guy in our shop who was concerned and called the tech got .005 over 6 inches and I guess it was the way he checked it. From all the good people who have written on this the consensus is mostly the spindle out. I load mastercam programs from our programmer guy and always check it out on my graphics first before running. Today he had a drill exiting the part to X Z zero from inside the part no exit first. I saw it before breaking the drill though:). Are you guys slow on work like here in Texas?

Back