What's new
What's new

TL2 ID Turn repeatability issues

Butch1

Aluminum
Any one else having repeatability issues with ID Turning on a TL2? We have had ours for a little over a month now and cant seem to get any consistancy with boring? We started out with a 1" Hertel bar that runs 80* inserts that chattered and vibrated just about in any situation. So we upgraded to a 1 1/4 Ingersoll which helped alot with the chatter and vibration. But we cant get it to repeat. It has been anywhere from 5-35 thou difference from part to part. We cant seem to grasp this one. Our OD turning is perfect everytime.

Have you checked how well the insert fits the holder and how well it is clamped?

I had a frustrating time with my TL2 and thought it was the tool holder not returning to the same position but it was the insert moving slightly.

That could be a possibility. But that new ingersoll bar uses a clamp that pulls the insert back into the seat not just clamping it down........... But I will for sure look into that. Its really starting to suck wasting material that comes out of my pocket to the tune of 65$ per ft.

How deep are you boring, and do you have the turret option or the Aloris type holder? I've had issue with Aloris type holders in the past and operators tightening the holder inconsistently. Also if Aloris type where is the holder sitting on the tool block? The higher they ride the less repeatability they have as the bar can tip up or down, this is also a problem with the bar hanging way out for deep bores.
Terry

Its a Dorian (aloris CXA) style. The bar is aprox hanging out 4" so that shouldnt be an issue. But the tightening inconsistently might play into this. As far as how high on the toolpost goes. I think it is pretty much centered on the post, its where ever it needs to be on center. Thanks for all the input. I at least have a few things to check!!

Hardest part with a bar that heavy is to keep the torque consistent. Try setting an indicator as close to the tip of the bar as you can get while its on the tool post, then just tighten it up and loosen it a few times and see if it repeats. I had huge issues with this and had to show the operator how a little over tight or a little under tight it took to change the tool every time.
Terry

Well, put an indicator on it this morning and it repeated exact every time. Didnt matter how tight or how fast I pulled it. I tried to do it every single way possible, but it repeated to the 10th. So now what? is there any chance that it is just the machine? Any one else had this problem?

What material are you running and what kind of speeds feeds and d.o.c. are you running? It doesn't sound like the machine is the issue as the od is perfect every time. If it was an encoder or software glitch I would expect the od would be off as well. Have you tried roughing out the bore with a G71 and instead of using the G70 for finish pass programing the profile? That may help to eliminate a glitch on the control side.
Terry

If the holder is repeating, then I wonder if the tool has enough front clearance? The minimum bore specification of the bar manufacturer is mostly there to alert you to the fact that going smaller will defeat the front clearance that they computed for the inserts that the bar is designed to hold. Typically the setscrew that bear on the flats of the bar will locate the bar rotationally, but if you were using some sort of collet system to hold the bar then you'd need to take care to get the front clearance to be adequate.

Back