What's new
What's new

Tool Changer Speeds??

JoBwan

Aluminum
Hey All, I have a VF-2SS with a side mount tool changer that doesn't seem to be working properly. Not really sure though. I checked the parameter and the speed is set at 14700000. If I have the doors closed, it changes the tools at about 1/3 the maximum speed. If the doors are open, it will change at full throttle. To me, this seems to be backwards of what it should be? If I turn the "Door Hold Override" on, then I get an alarm that says "Door Hold". I checked the input page to check the door switch and it is working properly. Has anyone else seen this before me. I searched this subject and only found "how to" change the maximum speed.

That's strange! Any time the doors are open on my mill (same machine, '07), the tool changer goes down to 25%. Same speed as heavy tools. Close the doors and it's back to 100%.

Are you aware that the rapid overrides also effect the tool changer? Do you maybe have some tools marked as heavy by mistake that confused you?

That's strange! Any time the doors are open on my mill (same machine, '07), the tool changer goes down to 25%. Same speed as heavy tools. Close the doors and it's back to 100%.

Are you aware that the rapid overrides also effect the tool changer? Do you maybe have some tools marked as heavy by mistake that confused you?

I talked to "Haas Apps on the Zone" and we figured out that someone has changed parameter # 734 for the door switch. This parameter should have been 0 and somehow got changed to a 1. It works as expected now.
JoBwan

Just thought Id bring this thread back for my question. Is there a way around the 25% tool change with the door open?

We have a couple new HAAS machines at the shop I work at, and its a little annoying for everything to move so slow.

Why? For the last couple of years Ive operated HAAS machines exclusively with the tool changes at 100% with no issue, once its setup of course.

So no way to change the setting?

But why would you want the toolchanger to be at 100% with the doors open? Imagine if someone gets knocked in the head by the arm...man oh man would that hurt. Or if it drops a tool during the tool change and flings it across the shop...or into some poor soul's nuts. :D

That is one safety feature I would leave alone. My mill, not being a SS, won't even change tools at all with the door open. If I am doing a setup with lots of tools I'll use the door override but am still cautious, would really hate to get my hand caught in there.

But why would you want the toolchanger to be at 100% with the doors open? Imagine if someone gets knocked in the head by the arm...man oh man would that hurt. Or if it drops a tool during the tool change and flings it across the shop...or into some poor soul's nuts. :D
Well if it makes you feel any better, the machines in question are VF2's, no side mount tool changer, therefore, no tool change arm. Isnt one of the 1st lessons you learn as a young boy is to guard the jewels at all times? Im not responsible for another mans unborn children, lol.

... I'll use the door override but am still cautious, would really hate to get my hand caught in there.
I always stand back when a tool change is happening, Id just like it to happen faster. When the table moves from center all the way to the corner for the tool change at 25%, it slows me down more than it should between part cycles.

Anyway, while I appreciate everyones concern for my well being, Im going to assume nobody has the answer Im looking for :(
:cheers:

VF2's, no side mount tool changer,
Ah ha! See, my VF-2 has a SMTC, and the beginning of this thread was about SMTC's, so you can see why we assumed that's what we were talking about.

I've never run an umbrella machine, but I can't imagine how painfully slow a 25% toolchange is on one! I feel for you, but I highly doubt you can bypass that short of physically bypassing the door switch, which I have no idea how to do.

I agree to leave this alone,

Recent accident almost cost me my hand on a VF3-SS

I was setting tools and using the "NEXT TOOL" command when I realized I had loaded two tools in the wrong pockets. I dont use the tool release on the spindle sice its in a terrable location when you have P-COOL and AIR-BLAST. The tool relaes button on the control just happens to be beside the next tool button. I accidentaly hit "NEXT TOOL" and the arm spun around at 25% giving me barely enough time to get my hand out of the way. If it had been 100% I would be a slow typer now. JUst emagine what kind of lawsuit youd be in if you over ride the safety and an employee gets his hand mashes off.

Like I said, tool arms arent a concern with the machines in question, because they arent SMTC. And in a shop with over 100 machines, and 3 of them wont make 100% tool change with the doors open, its annoying.

My 2006 VF2 with the umbrella changer will change tools at 100% with the doors open. Upon power up, I always go into settings, page down, and cursor down a few lines to turn on the door hold override.

It's an umbrella changer, as long as your head isnt in the machine when you change tools, you'll be ok. :)

Door override is setting 51, its almost 2nd nature in the morning, lol. All the others will change tools at full speed with the door open, and the new ones would too, until we got the 5th axis trunnion setup in them.

The only way around the setting is to tape the microswitches on the door track in the upward position. Keed in mind there are switches on both doors. you can go into diag and page down twice. while somebody sets the switch check for the door setting to goto 1.

Back