What's new
What's new

looking for info on VF-E

Bob E

Hot Rolled
Looking at a 1997 VF-E...
I don't see any info on the Haas website about these.
Can someone give a quick rundown on what exactly the "E" means?

Thanks,
Bob

I asked basically the same question here:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65491
I do know that the VF-E has the same travels as a VF-1. Check some out here:
http://www.machinetools.com/us/mach...ion=used&country=230&manufacturer=HAAS&page=4

One of the answers I got was that it was a basic machine with no extras. However, from the way I've seen some of them equipped it's obvious that even if they started as basic machines the extras could be added.

Another said that the VF-E uses DC servos. I don't know about that but on the page linked to above there is at least one 1997 VF-E and I know that Haas switched to AC servos starting with the 1996 models.

Maybe someone on here can give us more info.

Ralph

Vf-e

I have a few VF0 E machines. They are a belt drive 30 inch machine, it is just the VF0 running gear with an extended travel.

*** Be real careful, the VF E was a unit I think they made for schools and stuff, I think they do NOT have brushless motors and who knows what else.
The VF0E is a great machine to buy used, no gear box to get noisy but a VFE, I would be really carefull, I do not think they made very many of them and I do not even know if they sold them as a regular product line.
I think they cheaped out on the spindle drive as well. More than likely they also do not have the pcool setup for the coolant. I think they did everything they could to get the price down.

Wish I had better news for you, all that stuff they are missing winds up being stuff you are really going to miss. Oh ya, I think they also did not have a chip auger, that is a real bitch no having one of those.

LandM-1

Vf0

Perry,

Real glad to hear your becomming aquainted with your VF0, that was my first machining center, I am glad it found a good home. I saw a couple of your replies, did you replace the tool changer trolly? What are you using for programming, I think you told me but I do not rember.
How is business, we are still slow but crawling back into it.
I think the X motor is not too old but I would recommend, if you haven't already, remove the rotar contacts, 4 places, and blow them out. At least check them for ware and look at the condition of the rotor itself, make sure everything is dry. Use a pair of channel locks to remove the caps, forget about the screwdriver slot. The Z should last forever but I did replace encoder one time. There is a slight chance you could short out the motor if you blow air into it, I never shorted one out but I heard it can happen.
If you ever get a "X drive fault" more than likely it will be you X axis cable, do "NOT" try to run the machine, you can take out the motor and the drive card and still have to replace the cable. Normally you can find the short with a multi meter but a megger is better. They drag the X cable through the collant in the bottom of the casting, seems like every five to seven years it just gets hard and the insulation leaks, that happens to all Haas verticals sooner or later.
Also, keep an eye on the counter balance chain, grease it every year and check all of it for wear, I did have one of the pullies go bad on my other machine, things held together o.k. but the potiental problems are there.
I replaced all the oil meters a few years ago, I like to do that on all of my machines at about 10 years, never had a problem but if you ever have the covers off take a look at everything. Be sure to replace or clean the lube oil filter.
It is amazing how quiet the travels are on that machine, I think I did replace the thrust bearing pack on the X axis motor side a few years ago you should be good there. I have a VF0 that is getting noisy on the Z, I replaced the bottom thrust bearing, it was cheap and easy but it did not help. Haas told me how to check to see if it my ball nut or my roller slides but I am not up for that right now, too busy with a boat load of prototype work.
Oh well, good luck. I still have that Mazak QT-8 I am looking to sell, I think when you sawit we were doing tube work and I think you commented on the coolant on the bottom of the casting, I did not explaine it at the time but it is the down side of tube work, you always wind up with coolant escaping the catch on the end of the spindle. That is a real nice machine but I just do not need it after we got the MSY machine, it is just collecting dust, not good for C.N.C. machines.
You are going to be the go-to guy on the haas brush machines, I told you everything I know, I think you are going to do fine!

LandM-1

Mike,

I didn't do the trolly, but I went through all the pockets and cleaned up the toolholder fingers. I also found the pre-charge pressure was too high and causing the tool to drop slightly before being put away. This manifested as jammed tools on opposite sides of the umbrella. I got this reset, replaced the bellvilles and lubed the drawbar, and replaced the power cable to the motor. I was getting an open phase error, but I think that could have been caused by the insufficient power to the machine (technically undersize) and was causing back EMFs to cause problems.

Once I got the tool change height, pre-charge pressure, and toolholder fingers sorted out, it hasn't missed a lick. I've got 19 of 20 slots filled in the changer and have been running the machine quite a bit. I've been using the upper end of the RPM range a lot, it's been happy; I always run it through the HAAS provided warmup program.

I've been busy with a lot of prototype and downrev rework for a local customer. Fortunately, in a down economy you can make yourself valueable to customers by meeting their needs and doing a good job. Too many shops lose sight of the fact that a job done right is always better than a job done fast and wrong.

I like this quote: The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.

Feedback!

Perry,

Sounds like you really got that machine dialed in. We also are in the prototype mode, I like your quote about a quality product, we lose work every now and then but we usually get it back, we are not always the cheapest but I think you are also at the "true cost" issue.
Thank you for your input.

Landm-1

Not to get off topic. I have a VF2 I bought new in 1992. He doesn't run much these days as I bought a new VMC to replace him. I keep the Haas as I have put new spindle, gearbox, motors, spindle drive, etc.. in the last 5 years. Anyway I start it up once a week and have been getting an "X OVER CURRENT"
alarm when it tries to zero return. After 3 0r 4 tries it will go home. Do have I have a sticky switch? When I power it down I don't send it home as to keep off switches.

Thanks

X axis overcurrent!

Sound like you have had a tremondus amount of work into that machine. What kind of work were you doing with it?
I would not recommend using the machine until you find the error, if the machine is still up you are lucky.
More than likely it is the X axis motor or the X axis cable. The bad news is that if you keep trying to use it you are going to take out your drive card.
Like I said in my earlier post, they drag the X axis cable in the casting sump. Over time the plastic gets old and cracks and the coolant shorts it out.
I would pull your X axis cover, move the table to the right and pull off the left side. You can do that with the power off and a 2x4 between your vises. Turn off all power including main breaker. Disconect the cables from the motor and disconect the cable from the side of the eletrical cabinet, you could use a megger on the cable but if it is intermitant I do not think a common multi meter will pick up the short.
Next check the motor, ask Haas how to "ohm" the motor. If it is a brush motor pull the 4 brushes out and check for damage. Check the rotor for build up, you can clean that up with fine sandpaper. You can blow out the carbon with compressed air *** caution, you could short out the motor doing that**
do so at you own risk.
If you have never changed the X axis cable there is a 99% chance that is it, there is a good chance you are moving the cable into and out of a puddle of coolant or oil. What ever you do do not keep trying to run the machine, that is going to get real expensive, you could trash the motor + cable + drive card,
been there, done that!
There is a real outside possibilty you have a limit switch problem, dose the table "bounce" to the left just as it homes? I have had one go bad before and I think that is what it did. let hope that is all it is. Either way, you X axis cover has to come off, everything is on the left hand side of the travel, motor, cable and limit switch.

LandM-1

Limit swith

Robby1,

I just re-read your post, if you are only getting that alarm, yea, I would say it is your limit switch but if you get that alarm anywhere else you might have to do a little more.

Goo luck!

LandM-1

Bob,

I just saw an ad I thing it was on e-bay for a VF E, that machine was loaded, I would want to chaek that out though. I think somebody dose not know what they have.

LandM-1

There is a real outside possibilty you have a limit switch problem, dose the table "bounce" to the left just as it homes? I have had one go bad before and I think that is what it did. let hope that is all it is. Either way, you X axis cover has to come off, everything is on the left hand side of the travel, motor, cable and limit switch.

Landm-1

Sorry I haven't responded, I have been out of town. Yes the table does bounce when it tries to home. I will take way cover off and check switch and cable. Thanks for the help.

Back