What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Vs. Haas CNC Mills

bellinoracing

Hot Rolled
What does everybody like better Cincinnati Milacron or Haas machines? I would like to possibly get my own CNC mill within 6 months to a year. I have used quite a few brands of machines and I think I have it narrowed down to Haas or Cincinnati. I am leaning toward Cincinnati because I think you can pick one up used a lot cheaper than a used Haas. Plus I have heard Haas wear out faster and need a fair amount of work to keep them running within tight tolerances.

But on the other hand I think Haas has an easier to understand controller so if my business takes off it would be easier to find some employees that know or can learn the Haas controller.

I would like to be able to brag that my parts are made in the USA. Would having a foreign made machine in my shop make me lose some of that credibility? My stuff would still be made in the USA just on an English made machine. But I have seen things that say made in USA, I doubt that every step has been done in the USA on US made machines.

So what does everybody think?

Thanks

When it comes to the British Invassion machines (Cinci Mills) IMO that doesn't exactly count as "import".

Cinci made lathes here and shipped there. Made mills there and shipped here. Would it be different if they built half of their lathes and half of their mills at each local? :skep:

I am not familier with the 2100 - but I don't know enyone that has them that doesn't seem to have the attitude that "you can have them when you pry the keypad from their cold dead fingers." :D

The tend to love that control.

an 850 or 950 will be a bit of a liability and you should have a good tech that you know can chase and fix boards as they aint realy supported enymore. (or very little) The 2100 is a major flagship!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ill probably get drawn and quartered for this but, You cant compair haas and cinci. I run both and yes the haas control is simple but limited. the A-2100 is slightly more complicated but still more powerfull than anything out there. now we come to structure and accuracy. cinci claims .00002 repeat wich unless under the perfect temp and humidity I cant see it. the cinci has 2000 block look ahead standard where the haas has a hard time getting 10. as far as price? well, year for year and size for size the haas is going to be ab out 30-40% cheaper and you do pay for what you get. now service haas is going to beat it hands down. IMO, you will like the cinci better and it has to many features to list.

Ill probably get drawn and quartered for this but, You cant compair haas and cinci. I run both and yes the haas control is simple but limited. the A-2100 is slightly more complicated but still more powerfull than anything out there. now we come to structure and accuracy. cinci claims .00002 repeat wich unless under the perfect temp and humidity I cant see it. the cinci has 2000 block look ahead standard where the haas has a hard time getting 10. as far as price? well, year for year and size for size the haas is going to be ab out 30-40% cheaper and you do pay for what you get. now service haas is going to beat it hands down. IMO, you will like the cinci better and it has to many features to list.

Well the first machine I learned was a Haas mini mill at college but I am learning Cinci machines at work and I would say I do like them better. They have 3 Arrow 500s a Sabre 500 and an Arrow 1000. I dont care very much for the sabre but the arrow 500 are good machines and the 1000 with the touch screen controller is an awesome machine. On the 1000 I think you can have over 2000 different zeroes for different jobs and different vises. I found a couple used Arrow 1000 machines for about $14,000 each. I think the cheapest Haas machine I have seen is over $20,000. Any ideas why the better machine is cheaper?

Thanks

Haas machines have a higher resale value because they have a higher residual ability to earn. Haas' part prices are rediculously low to replace major components. They also designed many parts to retrofit to older machines, so you aren't screwed by some odd part. For instance, a tool changer assy is $2000, the complete main board upgrade is $2600. Their parts are very reasonably priced and easy to get. They also have simplified a lot of the machine by having it all in house. You don't have 4 axis boards from XYZ vendor and an I/O integrator by the MTB and a control by ABC and servos by UVW. For the most part they use readily available parts (linear guides, way covers, spindle drives).

I bought a Haas VF-0 in April after looking at a lot of different options. It's a 1993 and still readily supported with parts in stock and cheap to buy. I was looking at machines that were newer and they were already effectively orphans because of outsourcing/contract manufacturing. Haas is one of the few MTBs that actually build their own stuff and not just sub out the majority to some Taiwan outfit.

Haas machines have a higher resale value because they have a higher residual ability to earn. Haas' part prices are rediculously low to replace major components. They also designed many parts to retrofit to older machines, so you aren't screwed by some odd part. For instance, a tool changer assy is $2000, the complete main board upgrade is $2600. Their parts are very reasonably priced and easy to get. They also have simplified a lot of the machine by having it all in house. You don't have 4 axis boards from XYZ vendor and an I/O integrator by the MTB and a control by ABC and servos by UVW. For the most part they use readily available parts (linear guides, way covers, spindle drives).

I bought a Haas VF-0 in April after looking at a lot of different options. It's a 1993 and still readily supported with parts in stock and cheap to buy. I was looking at machines that were newer and they were already effectively orphans because of outsourcing/contract manufacturing. Haas is one of the few MTBs that actually build their own stuff and not just sub out the majority to some Taiwan outfit.

I'm not so sure about ridiculously low cost for replacement parts. I just replaced the processor board on my Haas and the cost for the board alone was about 15% of the cost of the bare bones machine. Then add in the labor charges .... ouch

Back