What's new
What's new

TM-1 Error 162 Y Axis Drive Fault

Kevin Wilkins

Cast Iron
My TM-1 is acting up. For a while now when I start up I've been zeroing the machine in single axis mode to keep from getting a "Y Axis Drive Fault" error message. Sometime I get one in sigle axis zeroing but I can clear the alarm and try again and it's been OK.

The Haas techs came out back when that first happened and it's not a loose screw on the Y axis as the value at which the machine zeros is always within the very small tolerance range. They thought the encoder on the moter might be crapping out and as those are expensive, advised waiting until it totally died.

So tady suddenly while a program was running the machine stopped dead with the fault 162 Y Axis Drive fault. Bummer. I was able to clear the error and get the machine back and running but while jogging in the Z axis, I suddenly got the Y Axis Drive Fault!

I check the Y axis spindle in emergency off and I can turn that easily by hand, so the motor isn't binding.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

The Haas guys are going to come out when they are in Berlin next and they think it might be a fault on one of the boards maybe... I hope it's not the friggin' motor.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Got the machine fixed yesterday. I was out of town a few days.

The local Haas dealer Microcut Machines told me how to swap the wires on the x and y axis amplifiers which I did. The problem immediately jumped from the y to the x axis, so it was clear the problem was the amp.

Microcut got a new amp to me in less than 24 hours and I installed it and that fixd the problem.

It was a big help that Microcut (Haas) was willing to help me on the phone which saved me the cost of an expensive visit from their Tech guys. This way I only have to buy the part.

In over 4 years operation this is the first time my TM1 ever needed a new part – and I hope it will be another 4 years before it needs another one!

Thanks Haas and Microcut!

You're lucky. My TM1 wouldn't boot. The tech came out and installed a new processor board. I haven't gotten the bill yet but the service paper work said the board was $3650 + install time. That hurt.

Ouch! I feel your pain. I'm gonna have to look for all the deposit bottles in the house to pay for the amp board. Let's hope things run smoothly for a while now!

Back