What's new
What's new

Haas live tool repair

John Mulhern

Aluminum
Hiya. We have some Eppinger axial live tools (for a Haas SL-20 & HL-4) which are making unkind growling noises. We had the same problem with one of the radial tools & a bit of grease solved it. The radial tools have an access panel to simplify the process...but does anyone know how to disassemble the axial tool sufficiently to lube it? I can't find any online diagrams or maintenance instructions. Both lathe manuals have zilch, also. Thanks in advance. :)

If you are still having issues, check out Exsys factory authorized repair facility for Eppinger tool holders. You can send in the unit for repair. They will evaluate the tool holder free of charge. I would contact Nicholas Bergmann Ph:352.588.4345 or check out their website at http://www.exsystoolrepair.com I hope that helps.

I have had bearings go bad in my Eppinger live tools. I rebuilt them. Keep in mind that washers/shims are critical and need to be kept at the same spec.

Hi makr. Yes, that's exactly what we did. One of the guys in another area dis-assembled one & put new bearings in it. The Eppinger axial tools are considerably more a pain in the butt than the radial ones. Considerably nicer running them when at least one doesn't sound like an old gravel truck. :)

Hi bjorn. Basically it's a way of taking a beautifully accurate lathe & making it into a mediocre mill. :) Both of our live tooling lathes have a large motor on the carriage. This motor has a spring-leaded, toothed spindle which engages any live tooling in the lathe turret. We have radial holders, which can drill, tap, mill, etc. in the X plane...and axial holders which can do the same in the Z plane. Coupled with the ability to either clamp & orient the main lathe spindle to any degree of arc...or to slowly rotate the main lathe spindle for milling, it becomes a "sorta" rotary table for your lathe.
There's probably a much better explanation on either the Haas website, or one of the other makers.

Back