What's new
What's new

Right angle head, programming

StreetSpeed

Hot Rolled
Dudes,

We bought a right angle head to pop some holes in the end of some howitzer muzzle breaks. The breaks are 29 inches long, so there was no way we could stand them up anywhere, or half ass it with a bridgeport or anything. So now we're getting ready to run these things, but I'm wondering is there a way to re-arrange the axeses? I mean can I run a G73 in the X-axis? I wish there was a way to just shift everything, so much so that when I jog the 'Z' axis, so to speak, that it's actually jogging the X axis. Can anyone shed some light on something like this?

On some FANUCs there is a parameter for "Z axis is the ONLY drilling axis" or "ALL axes are drilling axes", which translates into canned cycles may either only be Z axis applications or not. Then, if you apply a plane code (G17, G18, G19), it will determine which axis is doing the drilling. G18 (XZ) will drill in Y.

Haas doesn't have the option of plane select with canned cycles AFAIK. Otherwise, what Beege mentions with it is the best way to go.

I simply write a 'long hand' drill cycle for doing this. You can set it up as a sub or macro call and run it just like any other canned cycle (simulated).

Another way I do this on other machines is using 3D Coordinate Rotation (G68). According to the Haas book, the addresses are there (for what needs to be used: IJK) but it doesn't describe its use. I get the feeling though that it's not 3D rotate and that the addresses are merely for comp plane selects.

We don't have any horizontals, big or small.

Thanks for your replies. We wrote a little program we think is gonna work out lovely.

Kind of curious as a mind exercise.

Haven't had to do that and thinking about it, It should be as Beege says.

Let us know how it worked out and shoot us a snippet of code so we can see how you did it.

PS, Take a look at horizontal machining, It opens up a whole new world of part machining and part holding.

C Ya

Mohawk

I did this on our A2100 controls for drilling water holes in molds. I ended up doing the little macro thing so I could drill multilple hole depths without a major reprogram of a sub. It was pretty simple really and worked like a charm.

What brand head did you get?

What brand head did you get?

It's a Lyndex-Nikken. I think it was $8000. We just charged it back to the customer since we bought it for their big ass job. They didn't even blink.

Mohwak I would love a horizontal, but as a 1 and 2 sometimes 10 rarely 50 prototype shop, a VMC just makes the most sense. I'll be trying to find some production work in the near future to facilitate the purchase of an HMC.

Kay we got it for real. I'll post it up in a couple days. My guy wanted to clean it up before I posted it ;)

"I mean can I run a G73 in the X-axis? I wish there was a way to just shift everything, so much so that when I jog the 'Z' axis, so to speak, that it's actually jogging the X axis. Can anyone shed some light on something like this?"

You can swap the "Z" for the "X" with the cables on the side of the rear computer housing. I have done this to test, I have never run parts like this but I have no doubt it will work.

Back