What's new
What's new

How far back does spindle orient go

ARB

Titanium
How far into the past does the spindle orient option go?

By this I mean to be able to program the spindle to a given angle and do something with it.

I know our 2001 does.

Can the shot pin machines like my 1994 do it with the correct option?

Nothing but Crickets I see.:)

I was hoping that maybe HaasApps would chime in.

I have an application for an old beater mill but I need to be able to rotate the spindle to a programmed point.

Maybe I'll just call Haas.;)

Spindle orient

Hello,

I had a 93 and a 94 VFO, shot pins all the way. I think I do have a 95 without a shot pin.
Hope that helps.

LandM-1

Sorry!

I guess I did not read your thread correctly, your are trying to orient the spindle on a 94. I wounder if the rigid tap would help, I did have that on my 93 and it was real reliable.
Funny thing, why do we have to have rigid tap if the control can handle spindle orient without a rigid tap setup?

LandM-1

My 96 Haas VF3 still uses the shot pin to orient.

It is my understanding that the older spindle drives like mine ran with open loop feedback. That would mean that the control really does not know where the spindle is positioned (in rotation) because it is not actively receiving positional information back from the spindle encoder. So the shot pin method is a simple switch method of detecting a fixed position.

How it does rigid tapping, I don't really know either. Maybe it runs some sort of electronic gearing between the spindle encoder and the Z axis, using the spindle encoder as the master and the Z axis motor as the slave. As far as I can tell, my spindle does not run exactly at the commanded rpm when rigid tapping, but it still manages to not break taps, even #0-80, so it must be correctly 'geared' inside there somewhere.

I think even the early machines used the encoder for spindle orient, the shot pin is just to keep the spindle stationary while changing tools, since the TC fingers can cause the spindle to rotate. My spindle frequently rotates slightly when the tool is pulled from the fingers.

I know that on my Tree they use spindle orient for the boring cycle, so the Haas may be capable of orienting the spindle on command.

I am certain the M19 on my Haas will activate the orient to zero and engage the shot pin.

My 96 Haas VF3 still uses the shot pin to orient.

It is my understanding that the older spindle drives like mine ran with open loop feedback. That would mean that the control really does not know where the spindle is positioned (in rotation) because it is not actively receiving positional information back from the spindle encoder. So the shot pin method is a simple switch method of detecting a fixed position.

How it does rigid tapping, I don't really know either. Maybe it runs some sort of electronic gearing between the spindle encoder and the Z axis, using the spindle encoder as the master and the Z axis motor as the slave. As far as I can tell, my spindle does not run exactly at the commanded rpm when rigid tapping, but it still manages to not break taps, even #0-80, so it must be correctly 'geared' inside there somewhere.

I think you have it covered. On the newer machines I can program M19+Angle (I don't recall the address) and the spindle will orient and hold position. The option is SOP and our VF7 has it.

I have an application where we want to punch some slots in aluminum tubing along will drilling holes. We are looking for something cheap to get this rolling with. I know the Cinci Arrow's will do this but would like to tap the vast older Haas market if possible.

Quick question: so on the newer Haas with the vector drive, are the actual and commanded spindle speeds exactly equal under all conditions? Or do they even display both of these anymore?

Bump.

HaasApps are you out there?

I did send an email to the Answer man at Haas and did not recieve a reply.

I would still like to know what the skinny is for sure.

I am betting that it is not an option until the newer machines.

If that is the case I wonder when that transition was made.

Back