What's new
What's new

New Haas TL-1 being delivered next week

CEP Inc.

Plastic
My TL-1 is going to be delivered next week but I don't have any tooling for it in my shop. I currently have an 06' VF-3SS and I'm adding this to my shop. Can you guys point me in the right direction for good deals on tooling. I know ebay is a great starting point but what are some good brands to look for. Thanks for any help you guys can give!:cheers:

Send a PM to Exkenna here, or search for previous questions about this. Exkenna has the tools and the deals, and can apply them to your type of work.

Send a PM to Exkenna here, or search for previous questions about this. Exkenna has the tools and the deals, and can apply them to your type of work.
Yep, and if you're new to lathes or are not quite sure what tooling you need, he will set you straight. His name is Curtis.

Welcome aboard, glad to hear you decided to get the machine and I am sure the Haas boys were glad to get the order. Let me know when you get it in, I would like to see what is different between the latest ones and the older one I have at the shop.

Tools are really best set by what you need to do with them. I stick mostly to the positive tools, like CCMT and other screw down inserts. I also stick to just two sizes that way I can use the same inserts in boring bars, and turning tools. That offers the best in versatility and you dont get stuck with some proprietary tool or insert.

Mari-tool has some good prices on boring bars and Ultra-Dex just sent me a catalog with good prices, American made, so they say. Technical Tooling Systems (404-367-0620) have one of the best selections if you want to use a local vendor with good variety and nice service. They can come onsite and work with you to set up a base of cutting tools and I like their service very much.

Charles Blair
DCMS Inc.

As a side note, if you havent already picked up a tool post I might recommend you look into the Dorian products over the Aloris. I actually have the Aloris and it has some things I dont like about it, I dont know if the Dorian is better or not but I feel like they have put a lot of thought into it over the last couple of years. Newest catalog I have is 2005...

Charles

Thanks guys! I was familiar with lathe tooling a while back but it has been about 6 years since I have used one. I'm sure it's like riding a bike:nutter:

Charles,

I'll let you know once it gets here and is powered up. I'm at the shop now running some 316L parts in the mill. Trying to do some research while the spindle is turning. I'm running 4 parts per cycle so the run time is about an hour:toetap:

I ordered the tool post from Haas. Would I be better off going with something else? I'm sure this topic has been debated heavily but since you brought it up I thought I would ask.

I think Jefferies uses the Dorian but if you wanted to know it wouldnt hurt to ask them. I have the Aloris and I really dont know if there is a real difference. I know the Multifix is highly regarded but it is expensive and not as common. I think Dorian came up with some kind of base that prevents the toolpost from rotating. this is something the Aloris doesnt have and it is a problem. I have debated for some time how I would make or modify mine so that it would stay put. I just haven't decided on what to do.

Dorian is also really making some accessories specifically for these type of lathes, while it would appear that Aloris is sitting on their backsides and living on the good name. This is likely just an impression but I think it is an accurate one.

Charles

PM or e-mail Exkenna

Where in GA are you? I'm just across the river from Columbus.

Exkenna (Curtis) tooled up my TL-1 about 1.5 years ago. Great products at great prices. He is located in northern Alabama, so shipping should be quick from him to you. I've also purchased a lot of mill and a little bit of lathe tooling from MariTool. Also great products and prices.

Good luck with your new lathe. Let us know if you have any questions.

Eric

I also use a Dorian tool post and couldn't be happier. I regularly repeat after tool changes to within a tenth. I use both Dorian and Aloris tool holders. They both have a good variety of products. Aloris has some that Dorian doesn't offer and vise versa. When I was purchasing lathe tooling I usually waited until the good MSC/J&L online sales and stocked up. The tool holders are spendy, but it doesn't hurt as much when they are on sale.

Eric

I just bought (stole) a Haas TL1 in a divorce sale. There was no tooling, but it had less than 40 hours on it, and I got it for $9,000.00. I've done one job on it and it's very accurate.

HAAS CNC Lathe

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on a GREAT DEAL!

I am of a looking for a late model SL10. Guess I need to check the legal ads for divorces instead of the machinery ads. :D

Where in GA are you? I'm just across the river from Columbus.

Exkenna (Curtis) tooled up my TL-1 about 1.5 years ago. Great products at great prices. He is located in northern Alabama, so shipping should be quick from him to you. I've also purchased a lot of mill and a little bit of lathe tooling from MariTool. Also great products and prices.

Good luck with your new lathe. Let us know if you have any questions.

Eric

I am in Lawrenceville, GA. Northeast Atl. area. About 40 miles outside the city. Although I think Dawsonville is considered metro atlanta now:nutter:

Most of the parts I make are going to be aluminum, stainless, or mild steel. Wide range of profiles to. I will get with Curtis and see what we can do. Thanks!:cheers:

This is more than likely going to be my first part. This is the type of part that I need tooling to accomodate. Material 17-4PH. QTY: 5

untitled.jpg

I would get a turn-groove tool, I have one from Kennametal and I rather like it but almost any other brand will do as well. I dont remember the designation but the inserts look like dog bones. Just make sure you ask how many different inserts are available for the one tool. I got caught that way once, also watch the clearance, some tools wont cut as deep as other.

Looks like a nice part and good quantity for the machine.

Charles

FWIW:

There is a war going on inside the bounderies of a dogbone.

The deeper cutting ones won't stand much Z axis thrust/feed.

The high feed ones won't go very deep.

Both may take the same insert?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I think it is funny too.

If you think about it though. It's cheaper to ask a dumb question than to rework all the parts.:bawling:

Machine is in and Curtis has me tooled up! Still working my way around the machine and trying to figure out all the little options. I need to get a good live center. Can someone point me in the direction of whats good and what to stay away from. :cheers:

Back