What's new
What's new

German TV appearance: TM-1 content

Kevin Wilkins

Cast Iron
The German TV network Pro7 will air a bit they filmed in my tomorrow evening at 7pm CET on the making of one of my folding knives. They shot a good bit of footage of the Haas making ground meat of titanium and steel. Hopefully I wont look too nervous – as setting up the machine with all the tool offsets while the crew was running around was kinda nerve wracking but it all ran perfect – at least the milling part.

It's an Infotainment show called "Galileo" and goes out EU wide and maybe even to the States, otherwise check it out online under: http://www.prosieben.de/tv/galileo/

I humbly suggest drinking heavily before viewing ... it is infotainment and in German, so WTF!

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was working on my Oscar speech! I'm hoping to do an internship with Letterman next ... learn the techniques of a Master, like Luke and Joda. ;-) "Ready you are, young Knifewalker..."

Anyway, back to reality... their production company called me having found my website. The show runs 5 days a week and they gotta fill those minutes. I guess they did a search under "whacky stuff that will play well before the eveing news" and my name came up!

I'm really sorry about that, it loos like it's blocked to just about everywhere outside Germany. I have heard from a couple of folks who are planning to post it on one of the online vid sites... will post that info as soon as I hear anything!

Te show came out well, people seem to have been "infotained." ;-)

Maybe my little brother saw it? He teaches Kraut at the JFK school there in Berlin. I guess he learned it all in college b/c we don't have any schools around here teaching it, and my kin quit using it after The Big One. (WW1) I certainly wouldn't know a word of it...

So now my mom, who has tought French and Spanish for many yrs, is now taking classes so that they can go see him. LOL! He was at The Wall cerimony the other day. He posted pics of Bon Jovi playing. Pink Floyd would have seemed more appropriate... :confused:

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I like the second video where you explain; "Don't stick your hand in the surface grinder wheel or you'll end up grinding to the bone like HESSTOOL did....";)

Great videos Kevin. Your skill and craftsmanship were shown perfectly. I think they did a great job.

Last edited:
The last half of "part 2" is still loading, but I
CoffeSpit.gif
at the point where you said "Perfect a mundo".

Other than your name, and perfectionist, and a wee bit about the surface grinder - I didn't understand a bloody thing, but when I heard that "Perfect-u-mundo" I started choking. LOL! And then the feed went dead. It should be loading right now.

I think I will send a link to my Mom and then she can git her plane tickets as soon as she can foolow that whole thing. ;)

Oh yeah - I have had that experience with the grinder wheel and the top if the knuckles before too. I was real lucky that the gap between the wheel and the table was JUST ENOUGH to spit me right on through with only some roughed up skin and a realization of how lucky I jist got that I won't likely forget enytime I'm on a surface grinder the rest of my life.

It was a lot bigger grinder and the wheel was off, but still spinning down and I was wiping off all the coolant/swarf off the chuck. Just spinning away silent over there at the corner of the table and I didnd't give it eny thought.... Glad for that one "Git outta Jail Free" card. I know there's two in the deck, but I hope to not require the second one. Someone else may need that one.

---------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hey thanks guys! There are a few errors and overstatements in there, but the gal who produced the bit did make an effort to get things right. They didnt want me spouting any technical blah-blah in any case ... that's INFOtainment!

That old surface grinder is a mean one. I don't think there is a more dangerous machine in the shop – the buffing machines can also be dangerous but that surface grinder just about cost me my finger. I just touched the edge of the still spinning wheel and bingo: chicken wing time!

There are hollow grinding machines that use double stones made by Berger, but they use a whole different set up than a surface grinder. Hollow grinding a blade with a surface grinder isn't practical. I can hand grind a blade in 15 minutes, the surface grinder would take off a 0.01mm in a pass which would take a while to remove 3mm and require really complicated fixtures.

What I would like to set up is at least a mister for the surface grinder... and idea on where I might be able to find a smallish add on coolant set up for that old machine? It was made in 1942!

Why were you cutting a knife blank on the Mossner Rekord bandsaw at the other shop ? (rather than milling it out)

That was a grip scale blank, sometimes when making only one it's faster to rough it out on the bandsaw then contour it on a dedicated fixture. I make the grip scales from different materials. Sometimes I screw the stuff down on a sacrificial plate and cut it out that way. That's how I do the main, titanium liners, but that part got cut from the show – as did my shower scene. ;-) Maybe they'll both make in back in the Director's Cut version?

Please tell me that your "Ryback" kitchen knives were
named after the main character from the all-time best
cheesy action-movie: "Under Siege". That would just
magnify their awesome-ness.

Kevin, you were talking about the kind of material you are using for the knife itself, but I can't hear what it is.What is it? (don't worry, I am not gonna make knives, just trying to learn )
BTW, real nice to see how other people work in their shop and making their parts. :popcorn:

Well, let's just say the kitchen knives are named as a "tribute" to a pair of the all time best cheesy action movies of all time. Of course they are in no way affiliated, etc. BUT as well all know, many veggies charge when they're wounded and you can't be too careful. ;-)

The steel I use for my kitchen knives is Becut from Bestar in Remscheid. There's more info on my website: www.wilkins-knives.com but it's a patented alloy for machine knives in industrial food processing and it is really some tough stuff.

What I would like to set up is at least a mister for the surface grinder... and idea on where I might be able to find a smallish add on coolant set up for that old machine? It was made in 1942!

Here's a home cooked job for a surface grinder system. You just need a 5 gallon bucket, submersible pump, plastic hose, some pipe fittings, quarter turn valve. (Maybe some other stuff too...)

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 213
  • nozzle.jpg
    nozzle.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 211

Back