What's new
What's new

TM-1 Table Clearance

hst

Plastic
Gentlemen:

I am wondering if one of you that owns a TM-1 could measure the minimum clearance between the column and the table. I am looking at getting a reversed jaw vise for the recently ordered TM-1 and need to know how much said vise can overhang the back of the table without hitting something.

Much obliged for your help,

Glenn

I sold my TM so I can't get you actual dimensions, but I do know that a regular Kurt D688 vise fits perfect on the table. It won't touch anything even the optional z axis way cover even when the vise is completley closed. I had a D675 vise on mine at first and almost bashed the z axis cover once when the vise was closed. After that I upgraded to the 688's :) I don't think you need the vises with the fixed jaw near the operator. You don't have to reach in to the machine like some bigger vmc's. Just watch your forehead on the plastic spindle gaurd. I removed mine after bashing my head a few times. The only reason I see for the vise with the fixed jaw toward the operator is to program in the first quadrant, but that's a non issue if you use CAM software.

Good luck!

David N:

Thanks for the link. That is the drawing that I was having trouble interperating.

Edster:

Thank you for your help. I agree that the only real advantage of a rear jawed vise is the first quadrant programing. However, it is obvious that such a vise is not an option for the TM1 so I will have to go with a conventional vise. I have, in fact, just ordered the recommended 688.

Much obliged for your assistance!

Glenn

I had a TM1 and I used Quad 1 vises on it all the time. You have to be careful as the reversed vises extend too far off the back of the table and will smash the Z axis cover if you're not careful. I loved the machine though. I am going to buy another one after the first of the year to go with the TL1 I recently aquired.

I made a futile attempt at retirement about 2 years ago, and now I am going start another shop. I have tried for a year and a half to find a job, and at my age there aren't any, so I will do my own thing again. My hours will be 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM and I will call myself Mid Day Machining.

Steve:

Interesting... I generally work from 7:30 pm to 11:30 pm. Mayhaps I should have called it Mid Night Machining.

Shucks, things must be booming. We already have a two shift operation!

Best to all,

Glenn

I have owned a haas TM-1 and TM-1P. I can tell you that the Kurt D675 and the Kurt D680 fit barely on both machines. I had to mill out the hex on my D688 because it was stickng out and obstructing the clearance area where the doors close shut. I sugest you look at the specs from KURT vises and compare them with the vises you want to buy.

Back