What's new
What's new

**please help asap**

Jeremy K

Aluminum
Haas toolroom mill wont read any g code . Long story short , disgruntled employee left and now mill cant be programmed . Im sorry i dont have more info but its not my shop or mill so i dont know specifics as far as alarms or errors , just got a phone call from my dad and he asked me if i was aware of settings or peram. changes that could effect this .

Thanks in advance

I can't address the immediate issue, but I can give some advice for the future (while putting myself out of work). I've worked on 2 long-term contracts fixing, then preventing exactly this problem: The dude with the passwords/tech knowledge goes AWOL. It makes me a lot of money, but it shouldn't ever be necessary.

The key is documentation. The owner/management should have a 'black binder' enabling him or any person with similar general skills to come in and do the job without many problems. The binder should be developed, and then checked to make sure it is accurate. I subdivide my documentation into several parts, allowing the owner/manager to excerpt/print the relevant parts and loan them to the relevant employee without releasing all the information. The Table of Contents might start to look something like this:

1) Master passwords/Warranty info (all passwords, all warranty info, Haas key codes, all serial numbers, all license codes, etc.). This portion should usually be kept in a safe, and backed up in a safe deposit box. It should be password protected if on a computer.

2) CAD/CAM: Basic settings, default tolerances...Export format details for the picky machines, etc.

3) Machines: From the basics (where's the kill switch) to the complex (baud rates for serial ports). Explicate the critical stuff: how to load a program, how to reset it after a spindle overheat alarm, etc. Refer to the Haas/Okuma/Deckel/etc. manual pages.

And importantly: How to reset the machine to defaults, then how to change the default settings to yours. This alone is probably most critical: It allows anyone with decent knowledge to get a machine running again, and allows a dropped-in replacement/loaner to get configured quickly.

4) Inventory/finances: Quickbooks, etc. Procedures for certs.

5) More stuff as needed.

This documentation does nothing to address key skill dependencies (when only one person has the skill to do something very complex), but this helps in a lot of cases.

It is a pain to do, and not cheap to have someone do it (either internally or externally), but the guy I'm currently working for was shut down for 3 days in September (before I started), for want of a password, and there have been a long list of preventable issues that have come up since then. His lost revenue has been more expensive than the cost of documentation, by far.

I'm not criticizing your business practices, and I'm sorry I don't know Haas machining well enough to figure out what is preventing the TM from accepting a program, so don't take this post personally. This seemed like a good time to share my experience with everyone. Backups. Documentation. Cheapest insurance out there.

Setting 8

Check setting 8 Memory Lock. If that is it just turn it back off. If not call us here at the Haas Factory 805-278-8500

Haas toolroom mill wont read any g code . Long story short , disgruntled employee left and now mill cant be programmed . Im sorry i dont have more info but its not my shop or mill so i dont know specifics as far as alarms or errors , just got a phone call from my dad and he asked me if i was aware of settings or peram. changes that could effect this .

Thanks in advance

Contact a Haas and their tach support people will talk you through your problem. It sounds like your guy was programming in the Haas Quick Code. There is a parameter you can change to make it use G-code.

What is up with that?

Wow what a jerk to do something so vengeful and lowlife like that! You know if a fellow ends up not liking a place for whatever reason they still should not do something like that.
It will get around and would destroy that person's chances of getting a job and it would be because said person was not a professional. I would be mad as He## if someone did that to us. I know the good people at Haas will help you out good luck.

I'm sure haas can help you out pretty quick....

Disgruntled employees can do a lot of damage....once knew of a mold shop where a ticked off moldmaker put a brand new mold in the cut-off saw, turned it on and left....they found two mold halves in the morning.

I'm sure haas can help you out pretty quick....

Disgruntled employees can do a lot of damage....once knew of a mold shop where a ticked off moldmaker put a brand new mold in the cut-off saw, turned it on and left....they found two mold halves in the morning.

Wow, that gives a new definition to the term "Parting Line" I hope they prosecuted and/or sued him..

Wow, that gives a new definition to the term "Parting Line"
I hope they prosecuted and/or sued him..

I spent 12 years in Injection mold building......3 separate firms.
And saw the most emotionally brutal treatment you can't imagine.
I personally had a few occaisions where the insult and intimidation factor
was so high, that were I not raised as well, there would have been
cause for an ambulance, I wouldn't be too quick to judge this one.
m1m

I spent 12 years in Injection mold building......3 separate firms.
And saw the most emotionally brutal treatment you can't imagine.
I personally had a few occaisions where the insult and intimidation factor
was so high, that were I not raised as well, there would have been
cause for an ambulance, I wouldn't be too quick to judge this one.
m1m

Are you actually trying to justify that being "picked on" in a mold shop excuses destroying tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work? Give me a Fkn break.

Love that term "disgruntled"

Put's all the responsibility on the employee – he’s to blame. I’m with you on this 1m1 THERE is always two or more involved in a fight and disgruntled only describes one individual. Guess it’s been 2 weeks now and not even a “thanks guys” or a "that didn't help" from Mr. ASAP.

Are you actually trying to justify that being "picked on" in a mold shop excuses destroying tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work? Give me a Fkn break.

Don't be a mindless ass, you you realy think I'm justifing it?
People don't saw molds in half when they are treated with repect.
If they don't like the gig, it's rarely a case of any-thing more than
a notice given, and a decision to utilise the notice or not.
What goes around comes around, pretty-much covers it.

m1m

Who is talking about "picked on"? M1M is talking about worse than that!
I guess you think it is cool to treat people like shit whenever you feel like it.

Do you mean to tell me that you have never met or heard of someone who was such an S.O.B. that they deserved whatever negative things might come their way? If not you are very lucky! Unfortunately, they are out there.

Now if an employee does something to f*ck up the program for little or no reason...that employee is not "disgruntled", they are insane, evil, or just a plain old prick.

Jeff

Ya I would have to agree. Try being in a shop where the owner comes out and literally screams in your face about how much of a d*mb*ss you are because you didn't finish that job 20% under quoted time.... or that you and your coworkers are all worthless POS because you ordered tooling instead of making it....even though you're three weeks behind getting orders out the door.... so on and so forth day in and day out for a year or two......

I'm not saying that shop owners don't have the same issue on the other side, but typically when people go their own way from a job its because better pay, hours, flex time... so on an so on. For somebody to snap and do something to cost the employer big $$$ in down time and what not typically takes a lot.

Though I did do a big whoopsy one time when I got laid off. I was running a sinker and forgot to lock down the mag chuck...... Part typically took 3hrs to burn so I didn't think anything of it till about hr 5.5 and was like what the heck... I actually stopped the machine 4 times and couldn't figure it out... well that was till 5 mins before time for me to walk out the door and I realized there were air bubbles coming out from the bottom of the part.... I called the boss immediately and explained the situation... still felt guilty as hell :bawling:

I'm surprised Haas doesn't give the machine owner an easy way to back up parameters & settings. On the Fagor control its very easy. I'm beginning to think Haas developed their machines with these quirks so you have to call a service tech to fix the thing.

Ya I would have to agree. Try being in a shop where the owner comes out and literally screams in your face about how much of a d*mb*ss you are because you didn't finish that job 20% under quoted time.... or that you and your coworkers are all worthless POS because you ordered tooling instead of making it....even though you're three weeks behind getting orders out the door.... so on and so forth day in and day out for a year or two......

That is what I am talking about.
I always understood that TECHNICALLY, I could do or say anything I wanted to, to anyone. HOWEVER...If I was an ass, I had better watch watch my back! I don't want to be a prick and I don't want to have to watch my back all the time.

These bosses who insult everyone like it is nothing are real tough guys! They know that their employees are at their mercy (to some extent) so they say whatever they want. Let us suspend the need for a job and the rule of law for a minute and see how tough they are! It is kind of like them talking shit to a 3 year old kid. They know that he can't kick their ass so they talk real tough! REAL tough guys! Human shit stains is more like it!

Jeff

Sorry for the lack of response , i really do appreciate everyone taking the time offer help and share some very interesting stories , esp the mold in the stock saw ,ouch . I heard back , i was told that they just staight asked the guy what happened , he came in and straightened it out for them , to me , it seems that it was blown way out of proportion when i was told about it . Again thank you to everyone that took the time to respond .

I'm surprised Haas doesn't give the machine owner an easy way to back up parameters & settings. On the Fagor control its very easy. I'm beginning to think Haas developed their machines with these quirks so you have to call a service tech to fix the thing.

They do! It's easy to save the parameters and settings and offsets and programs to floppy. This is the machine tool owners responsibility to learn how to do this. Every machine I have I make sure the parameters and settings are backed up in some form or another. I make it a point to ask during training so the tech can show me how it's done. Haas even gives you a printed copy of the parameters and settings and gives you a disk with the same. It's funny how people jump to conclusions when they don't have a clue to the facts. Kinda like passing judgement on the employees and employers in the above posts when none of us (except those that were in the situation) actually know the facts :rolleyes5:

Glad to see

Glad to see the fellow came and helped out. I can relate to the discussion about the treatment of employees and vise versa though. I have seen employees falsely accused of stealing for example and fired. Mecurial bosses actually are not motivating their employees by such tactics. Often it makes them feel better to just blow up on someone. There comes a point when someone like this will either have to pay very well or a good employee will just leave under those circumstances. If the employee leaves his experience with such a shop will work against the reputation of the angry boss. Such guys always develop a lot of enemies.

This thread quickly deteriorated, leaving DBurnette's valuable comments virtually ignored.

I've seen many shops lose a critical player, then panic because he "took it with him". The only thing taken was knowledge that the owner was too lazy or cheap to document.

Back up your parameters. Lock up your originals. Cross train your people. If you don't have the time or money to do it right, when will you have time/money to do it over?

Back