What's new
What's new

TM2 spindle motor noise

hesstool

Stainless
I have a customer of mine that fabricates trade show and permanent displays for their corporate headquarters. These guys are not machinists, but they do have a TM2 for oddball projects. I was at their shop delivering parts to them when one of the guys started up the spindle to machine a couple of things. I immediately asked him what the hell was wrong with the spindle. He looked at me confused saying that it has always sounded that way. I can't really describe the noise, it wasn't a whine and but it wasn't a grind either. It seemed to coming from the area above the spindle, probably where the spindle motor is(?).

Anybody have a problem like this? I'm curious for their sake. I'm also not a Haas guy either, so I'm not really a roadmap for them. Any help would be appreciated.

The TM machines and the MiniMills are prone to make a lot of noise because the motor alignment is a bit off and the belt rides against the sides of the pulleys. The fix is to shim the motor mounts until the belt runs in the center of the pulleys.

So is this something Haas doesn't care about?

I'm heading over there again today so I'll to see if I can get an audio file recorded on my iPhone and post it here. (Or at least a link)

I have the same problem when I went from a 2002 TM-1 to my 2007 TM-1P. A haas came by one day and he said that was normal since the motor isn't oiled like the other haas machines. TM machines are lubricated with a greaser gun and not with spindle oil like the other ones. I panicked when I first heard that noise but if they say it's ok then I'll live with that.

Thanks guys.

I never did get back to their shop because they stopped by my place to pick up part of their latest project. I'll still work on getting a recording of it just for fun.

I have had the same trouble with the motor noise since the machine was new.
I had HAAS out several times and they could not fix the problem.
Finally I fixed it myself. As stated the drive belt rides up or down and rubbs on the edges of the pulley. So there is not damage being done that I could see, not even a wearing of the belt, but it sounds like the spindle is going. The motor is on a rubber vibration dampered plate. Tightening or loosening the plate has some effect, but not enough to solve the trouble. I drilled and tapped a small hole (1/4-20) through the plate near one of the most accessable corners of the plate and screwed a set screw through it so I could tweek the plate slightly up. The belt tracks opposite of what you'd think when you adjust the plate up or down. After an hour or so of running the spindle CW and CCW I found the best adjustment. I put a second set screw in the hole to lock it in place and it's been running perfect ever since.

Yes, it is the belt

So I receive the new TM1, set it in place, power, air... and wow is the spindle loud! So after thinking "replacement spindle", I searched and found this thread on spindle noise. And yep, sure enough, the belt is running down hard on the bottom of the motor pulley.

Problem with the belt? Flip the belt?

How much shimming to get it to run in the center?

Shimming it does make it quieter, but the belt is still the main source of noise. Any use of belt dressing?

Also, it does seem to be real sensitive to staying in the center. Almost like the pulleys are dished instead of crowned. The belt would rather head of to each end with just a small spot in the middle where it will stay. But for how long?

Well, not long. It seems that all I can get is for the belt to be not hard on either end of the pulley. It would rather be on the top or bottom. I trimmed the steel bushing inside of the rubber grommets about .007 to get it to happen. But a gentle pry with a screwdriver while running, which compresses or lifts the motor on the bushing, will send the belt to one side or the other. If left alone in the middle, it will slowly drift to the edge.

Any ideas?

Back