What's new
What's new

HAAS SL-10 coolant pump upgrade ?

mbraddock

Hot Rolled
Has anyone upgraded the coolant pump on their SL-10? Our machine sees pretty light duty work, so it's usually okay, but we've started using some indexable drills lately that can't properly evacuate the chips because the pressure is just not adequate. To be honest, the pressure is pretty weak and it always has been, especially compared to higher-end machines.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide!

Mike

I got the high volume one from haas. I needed the bigger pump for a royal grippex bar puller. It fit's perfect and you can swap between the two pumps in five minutes if you want. I usually run the smaller one unless I need more volume. It keeps the mist down :) Haas recommended I make sure the breaker that powers the pump is big enough. I don't remember the size off hand, but the stock breaker was fine.

The 3/4 hp coolant pump is the way to go. The HAAS one is probably more expensive, but it's plug and play, the breaker needs to be 10A, our 2005 SL-10 had the right one from start, so just to switch the power plug and coolant hose and blast those chips out of there!

I was having problems with my pump in the SL-20 and brought that 1hp pump over to the SL-10...easier access. It Definetely pumped a hell of alot more coolant. Actually it was kind of overkill I think the 3/4hp would be a better choice.

Just keep in mind they are volume pumps and not high pressure so they lack that chip pushing power.

If you have another Haas with a bigger pump...bring it over, they are all plug and play...at least mine are.

Thank you for your informative replies. I apologize for not posting back sooner, but work's been crazy busy!

Do you think the higher volume pump will resolve my (poor) chip evacuation problem, or do you think I need to try and source a high pressure pump instead?

Thanks.

Mike

You should be fine with the higher volume pump. On my SL20, I'm running 7/8" to 2" dia inserted drills in a wide range of materials with no problems at all. Just make sure you have good coolant conentration and when drilling, don't be afraid to feed the the heck out of the drill. Make the machine work. The load meter should be in the red!!

The higher volume pump should do the trick! We have the same SL10 and went with the upgraded pump. Through the nose coolant works much better on our drills and boring bars.

Back