What's new
What's new

2001 Haas monitor... change to color LCD ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
2001 Haas HS-1RP like below, with monochrome monitor. Just wondering if I changed the amber mono CRT monitor to color LCD would it display the characters and text in different colors ?

haashs1rp.jpg

I would imagine you would need a minimum of a new video card and a software upgrade with the drivers to run it. otherwise I think amber or white are the choices, I find the white easier to look at, we have some of each.

I would imagine you would need a minimum of a new video card and a software upgrade with the drivers to run it. otherwise I think amber or white are the choices, I find the white easier to look at, we have some of each.

Could be the case with Haas I suppose but I've had other CNC machines with monochrome monitors where the installation of color monitor did display in colors...1999 Bridgeport CNC mill with EZ Trak for example.... 1996 Hurco VMC another example. No new video card or software upgrade needed in those cases.

My earliest example of mono to color transformation was a *1986* Mitutoyo CMM. In that case I did need a color video card* for the antique 1986 HP workstation, but that's all it needed (besides a color monitor of course) to display the programs in color.

===================================

*Of some humor is the fact that HP color video card in 1986 retailed for $3,500...just for the card !!!! I found one on eBay for $12

Most likely you'll have to upgrade the software or a video card. Call HFO, tell them what you have and ask them what you want. I don't think a Color screen is a great upgrade but if you have the money go for it.

Finally got around to removing back control cover to have a look around. There are 5 wires coming off the board to the monitor. You need a minimum of 6 for color (R,G,B, Horiz, Ver, Ground) so I guess it needs some sort of color card sure enough...and even then I don't know if the software is written to display in different colors. Got a call into HFO service about this but suspect it will be one of those deals where they look at me like I have three heads.

HFO service never called me back on this, but I suspect no one there would know the answer anyway. Anyone have a contact for a tech at the Haas factory that might know about video cards and if the software would display in color ?

Edster, sorry but after the sleezy owner of that place copied forums from here, complete with the exact same complex subtitle, I will never go there and will delete any reference to that place here, just to avoid any advantages that might give them in search engine results. The rep can come here.

Edster, sorry but after the sleezy owner of that place copied forums from here, complete with the exact same complex subtitle, I will never go there and will delete any reference to that place here, just to avoid any advantages that might give them in search engine results. The rep can come here.

You could not say that before, instead just delete every post with the info you were seeking.

You could not say that before, instead just delete every post with the info you were seeking.
Obviously I could have but was hoping you guys would get the hint...but since not, I was finally forced to come out and "say that"...

Also the deleted post didn't have "the info I was seeking" but rather a reference for where I could seek and maybe, maybe not...find an answer.

I tried to pm it to you Don, but your box was full, so I posted it instead. :)

I posted the link only because I wasn't sure if he would want me posting his info, oh well here it is anyway.

If you ever want to call me please feel free

Wayne Reilly
Haas Automation
805-278-8560

Don,
I just tried calling you but it is very late. It would be much more that just a video board, color crt and software.

It will require new cables, new main board, new mocon, new io baord and some other things to do this. We generally do not recommend this as it is a whole new control. Your control is not capable of supproting a color monitor. I will try to call you again tomorrow.

It will require new cables, new main board, new mocon, new io baord and some other things to do this. We generally do not recommend this as it is a whole new control. Your control is not capable of supproting a color monitor. I will try to call you again tomorrow.
OK, if it's that complex (expensive) then it's probably not worth doing then. It's just that I had sucess with converting other CNC machines as far back as 1986 vintage from mono to color so I thought it would be a piece of cake on this 2001 machine...but apparently not. Thanks for the info. :Ithankyou:

Oslo, Norway

Don,
I tried calling again and kept getting Oslo, Norway. I don't know how that could happen but maybe I got your number written down wrong.

OK, if it's that complex (expensive) then it's probably not worth doing then. It's just that I had sucess with converting other CNC machines as far back as 1986 vintage from mono to color so I thought it would be a piece of cake on this 2001 machine...but apparently not. Thanks for the info. :Ithankyou:

Back