What's new
What's new

How to rotate pallet on HMC ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
2001 HS-1RP... got axis homed and all else working..axis moving (including 4th axis) spindle rotating, tool changer working, etc...but can't figure out how to rotate the twin pallet mechanism. There is a button on the front to rotate it, but when I press the button nothing happens...dead as doornail. What is the secret ?

Just wondering if the button on front is to tell the machine that the parts in the load position are ready to run, so that you can walk away and it will know to switch and continue?

If above is true - then you may need to run it in MDI?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

According to the Haas manual; M36 Pallet Rotate.

Incidentally if you go to the Haas websit and click on Site Map, then scroll down the page you wil find something about literature and manual updates. You can download the entire machine manuals, mill or lathe.

Pallet Rotation

I have a 1996 HAAS HS-1 and there are several things to do before the pallet will rotate. First, the code to do a pallet change is M50, but on newer models you might have to specify P1 or P2 (not sure). All we have to do is make sure the outside pallet is in position, there's and index lever for rotating this pallet and it can only be in one position or it won't rotate on command.

Also, you can program an M36 which works in conjunction with the switch on the pallet changer. M50 will cause the pallet to change regardless, put an M36 in the line before the M50 and the pallet will rotate only after the operator has depressed the switch, indicating that the parts are loaded and the pallet is ready for machining.

According to the Haas manual; M36 Pallet Rotate.

Incidentally if you go to the Haas websit and click on Site Map, then scroll down the page you wil find something about literature and manual updates. You can download the entire machine manuals, mill or lathe.
I have the manual that came with the machine but the pallet changer is under "options" on page 432. But when I go to page 432, it's blank ! :angry:

Kinda silly it's even under options considering I've never seen a Haas horizontal that did not have the pallet changer. Anyhoo, did the download for HS machines and sure enough found the secret "pallet changer operation" info. It's dated 7 years newer than my machine but hopefully it is the same coding for mine, thanks ! :cheers:

I have a 1996 HAAS HS-1 and there are several things to do before the pallet will rotate.
First off, what is that manual lever to the left of the front pallet, is that the "index lever" you mention ? And if so, do you pull it up or down to allow rotation ?

Oh wait...I'll bet that is for allowing rotation of the pallet, not the pallet changer isn't it ? i.e. you mount your parts on one side, push or pull that lever then rotate (by hand) to the next side, rinse and repeat ?

HS-1 Lever

The lever on the lower left side of the pallet allows rotation of the outside pallet for loading parts. You push the lever down to rotate every 90 degrees (I think it's 90). Anyway, there is only one up position that is correct, which will allow the pallets to change. When the pallet locks in place upon rotation the lever will move up but the position that allows the lever to move up the greatest is the proper position to allow the pallet changer to work.

Once again, after loading parts, push the white button to indicate that the pallet is loaded. If there is a M36 programmed it will look for the button signal before it allows the M50 to pallet change.

Also, make sure that you allow the pallet change cycle to complete, especially in MDI.

Got her to pallet change today...worked like a charm. M36 and M50, plus having the front pallet in the right position with the pallet lock lever all the way up... were the secrets indeed, thanks folks. :cheers:

Back