What's new
What's new

Programming question

Hoppy

Cast Iron
I'm getting ready to make some fairly complicated parts on a Super Mini Mill and need some advice. The parts need to be repositioned several times to complete all of the milling operations. 'Part zero', in some operations, is based on features milled in the previous operation, so there will be several offsets. I'd like to be able to machine one set of features, reposition the part, set the new offset, and then continue with the next operation.

Here's an example. Let's say a mill a circular boss. In the next operation the part is rotated 90 degrees around the x-axis and reclamped so that a cross hole can be drilled through the boss.

The real question is this: how can I 'pause' the program while I reposition the part, probe to establish the new offset, and then resume execution of the program?

Thanks!!

I don't think you can. We did this sort of thing as two separate programs before we invested in rotary fixtures that allow operations to be carried out on all four sides in some cases.

I'm getting ready to make some fairly complicated parts on a Super Mini Mill and need some advice. The parts need to be repositioned several times to complete all of the milling operations. 'Part zero', in some operations, is based on features milled in the previous operation, so there will be several offsets. I'd like to be able to machine one set of features, reposition the part, set the new offset, and then continue with the next operation.

Here's an example. Let's say a mill a circular boss. In the next operation the part is rotated 90 degrees around the x-axis and reclamped so that a cross hole can be drilled through the boss.

The real question is this: how can I 'pause' the program while I reposition the part, probe to establish the new offset, and then resume execution of the program?

Thanks!!

I would probably make fixtures to eliminate the need for probing, and use subroutines, optional stops, and g54/55 etc.

Well, if the number of parts is small, there's no point in going through all the programming it would take to do what you're suggesting.

It would be perfectly reasonable to have an M00 to flip the part and a probing routine that could find the feature but, that would take a lot of work. As already posted, you could just do each operation as a different program.

I have a smaller haas (without a 4th axis), and have had parts I had to reposition 13 times. I never change my tool offsets. I use a separate program each time I reposition and basically ignore the part zero. I have a common zero I use that is associated with my fixtures, not the part. If the parts are small I clamp the fixtures in my vise, and the programs are relative to the vise.

If your going to relocate after each operation...

I'd just do the 1st operation to each part,

then move onto the 2nd operation, do all the parts.

3rd op, do all the parts

etc etc.

Eliminates doing and redoing the same setup multiple times.

Just because you can make something more complicated, doesn't mean you should.

It doesn't sound like what you are trying to accomplish would be that difficult.

I would make my XYZ center in the center of the part and work everything from that point.

I always work from the center of the part when I have to move it or do it in a 4th axis. The center of the part is always the center of the part, no matter what you do to the external features.

Depending of the tolerances, and part complexity, etc I would do as SIM has suggested. Run op1 on all the parts, then op2, etc. If you have the table space, set up a second vice, and run op 1, and op 2 at the same time. just move parts from one station to the next. Don't know if it's feasable or not depending on your part.

You can still accomplish what you asked in your first post. First you have to go into Settings and Graphs and turn off the H/T argument. Then build your program with G54 G55 and so on you should also set different tool offsets (e.g. tool 1 can use H01, H11, H21…). Use M00 to stop the program and manipulate and re-clamp the part. When you change to a new G55, G56… you can use your other tool offset by calling up a new “H” in your G43 line. You really don’t even need a new G55, G56... you can simply just change to a new “H” after you flip your part.

You can do all that but I would recommend that you do build new programs for each side.

I hope this helps.

What SIM said. If it's a low qty run, I run one side one each then move to OP2 and run all parts, OP3 and run all parts, etc. Higher qty runs I run a progession with mutliple work offsets, one for each side. Material blank goes into G54, part that just finished in G54 goes into G55, part that was in G55 goes into G65 and so on. Every part gets moved to the next "station". That way every time I hit cycle start, a finished part comes off the machine and a new blank goes in.

Back