What's new
What's new

2010 Haas updates

ARB

Titanium
Has any more info been released about the new Haas machines. I keep seeing the add here and wonder if the release is coming soon?

Just curious.:)

I just checked their website a bit, doesn't say a whole lot but shows the new color. Mori, Mazak, now Haas doing the black and white thing.

I see the HPCL lathe has disappeared, I guess it was a pretty short lived idea...

I do wonder a bit about the drill/taping machine and how much they'll want for it.

I just checked their website a bit, doesn't say a whole lot but shows the new color. Mori, Mazak, now Haas doing the black and white thing.

I see the HPCL lathe has disappeared, I guess it was a pretty short lived idea...

I do wonder a bit about the drill/taping machine and how much they'll want for it.

Regarding the drill/tap center price:

CNC - Haas Automation, Inc. | Haas VMC | PRICE | DRILL/TAP CENTER | DT-1

Now for the HPCL, good riddance. Sometimes I wonder about Haas's marketing department. They are making 4 different versions of the TM mill. Make 6 or more versions of the TL lathes. Got 2 Office mills, 2 MiniMills in 3 different variation. Made the HPCL for a while.
Do they really sell X amount/year to make their requirement?
If they do, I am amazed. Specially when considering that Haas has used to make the most versatile gang-tool lathe ever, which has died in less than 2 years.
Frankly, killing the MiniLathe is the worst decision I can think of Haas has ever made, next to building the HPCL in the first place.

But I am dumb as a stump....

Wonder if Wayne (HaasApps) has anything to say about the MiniLathe???

Regarding Frankly, killing the MiniLathe is the worst decision I can think of Haas has ever made, next to building the HPCL in the first place.
I'm not familiar with either the MiniLathe or the HPCL... got any photos ? Was one of those the lathe that looked suspiciously like a Hardinge HLV-H ?

Don

The Minilathe is:

Haas Offers a Toolroom Mill and Small Turning Center

Haas's now extinct gang-tool machine.
And to the reason why it's extinct, one has to look no further than the short 3 line description in that article. Anyone mentioning 6" chuck in combination with a gang-tool lathe at that size is a giant f@cking retard. So is the comment about it ( or any gang-tool lathe) being an entry-level machine.
Apparently Haas didn't know what they've built, didn't know how to market it and now they don't know why it went away.
All I can say is that I purchased it for a second-op lathe back in july of '05 ( leftover stock). Within 1 month I've all but moved every single production run of parts 1" or under onto this, including Inco, Ti and Cobalt parts. Needless to say, the full ROI on the $33K purchase price came well before the end of the year.
Major benefit: With the elongated and slim collet nose, Haas was able to put on a 45deg toolplate, which allows the unobstructed useage of 8 conventional tools ( 4 OD 4 ID ) for any and every job you put on.
Drawback: Stupid f@cking design mistake where the toolplate is hung off the linear trucks by 8" or so. This creates vibration due to the tool cutting 8" away from it's support. Can be worked around tough.

Nevertheless, for parts fitting it's envelope it is 30+ % faster than anything with a turret of any kind.

The HPCL lathe is/was the retarded idea of the Hardinge knockoff.

http://www.haascnc.com/news/new_files/DS_HPCL_US.pdf

SD, wow...I'm with ya 100 percent...the Hardinge knockoff is seriously dumb and the Minilathe, esp at around $35K makes perfect sense. Is you know who "unincarcerated" yet ?..if so, we need a campaign to get it back ! :)

The HPCL was the one that looked like a HLV-H.

Couple picks of the mini lathe here.
http://www.cncmagazine.com/vol6thru8/v8i28/images/HydroML.jpg
http://www.addatool.com.au/MiniLathe_LC.jpg

I do wonder who they hope will buy their Drilling/tapping machine. Thanks for the price Link BTW, about 45K seems half decent but if fanuc still made the robodrill Mate, which was around a similar price I think, it would win no doubt. The HAAS likely isn't proven to do millions of cycles, I doubt any company doing 24/7 with automation will want to touch it. So it kinda leaves it up to the regular guys who are used to the HAAS machines and like them enough to want to buy this if they happen to have heard of Tapping/drilling centers and want one and hope this is the same thing. I see on the specs Max tap size 1/2-13 in aluminum. Quickly looking at the specs on a robodrill it says M24x3.0 in Die cast Al, or M16x2 in steel, doesn't seem to matter if its 10K or 24K spindle. Brother's are probably similar but I didn't find the specs. Is the tool changer swing arm on that thing?? kinda looks like it is.

Edit " damn I type slow "

I do wonder who they hope will buy their Drilling/tapping machine. Thanks for the price Link BTW, about 45K seems half decent but if fanuc still made the robodrill Mate, which was around a similar price I think, it would win no doubt.
Yeah I was thinking similar thoughts when I first saw the ad for one. IMHO, they should have made a "mini drill/tap" machine, perhaps even a little smaller than the Robodrill "phone booth" model, for around $37K.

=============

BTW, the Haas full page print ad in Jan. Modern Machine Shop, regarding all new 2010 models, sez "Released for Duty 01.01.2010"

Hmm, I'm looking at this from a little different perspective with the hopes of being correct about it.
I'm hoping that Haas has finally decided to do something about the complaints (quite often valid ) regarding rigidity, accuracy, speed and some of the other aspects.
If you look at the specs on the DT, it is quite impressive. It also comes with new motors, encoders, casting. I'm guessing ( hoping ) that they are not only new, but in fact better. Better to a point where they will in fact be competitive with Brother and Fanuc not only in price but in quality as well.
Of course, only time will tell.
I for one will give it a try should the need for a Drill/tap center arise.

Looking at the picture of the clamps somehow I bet rivett608 would probably knock these out with a few hand tools, or make a scale version of it, and hold 20microns. :)

The little office mills seem neat for some applications. Of course Makino makes mills with 0.3micron positioning accuracy, but likely cost a few dollars more.....

I tried to get information on the MiniLathe when it came out.
Seemed like the cats meow, but when I called to ask about them...well I got more information from the little pamphlets they send out then I could from Haas.

The little Precision lathe was meant to piss off Hardinge for knocking off Haas's rotary heads.

Ridiculous

Seemed like the cats meow, but when I called to ask about them...well I got more information from the little pamphlets they send out then I could from Haas.

Honestly, I like my HFO and they are in fact very knowledgeable about their machines from sales and service aspects.
On the Minilathe however, I knew more after the first 24 hours than they did combined. Not to be a bad reflection on them, but I think that particular machine was a black sheep somehow.
Willing to bet that was also the reason it never sold, because they did not know how to sell them.

Last edited:
Honestly, I like my HFO and they are in fact very knowledgeable about their machines from sales and service aspects.
On the Minilathe however, I knew more after the first 24 hours than they did combined. Not to be a bad reflection on them, but I think that particular machine was a black sheep somehow.
Willing to bet that was also the reason it never sold, because they did not know how to sell them.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong idea, I really think my HFO is great. That is as long as you already had a machine...buying one used to be a challenge. I used to be able to call service and have a guy at my place for a service call in less time then it took for the salesman to return my call.

I have been really busy getting ready for Westec. I will try to answer some of the questions.

MiniLathe - Yes it was a great machine. The problem was we did not sell a lot of them.

HPCL - I'll leave that for you guys to speculate.

DT-1 - This is a great machine. We have done millions, yes millions of cycles on this machine. We have one running in the factory (production parts - 24 hours a day). We have also done some extensive tap testing on it. It can do much bigger taps than we publish. We tested up to 1" - and that was where it could no longer drive the tap, but 7/8" did work. We publish 1/2" because we know that it will do that tap size with any variety of tap. I was worried that someone would buy a poor quality tap and not be able to do the 7/8" and then, well you know. We tested it with many materials including some cast iron tractor hubs. Not really out target market. As for why this machine makes sense - Outside the US drill tap machines are very big. Roughly a 20,000 machine per year market. I think getting a small percenage of that market makes sense.

2010's - Better in many respects. New FEA casings, New drive systems, Better coolant and chip control. I know I am missing a lot and don't have a lot of time to talk about them here. If you get a chance stop by out booth at Westec and find out everything.

More data should be published soon.

Gotta run.

MiniLathe - Yes it was a great machine. The problem was we did not sell a lot of them.
Right, but the point was Haas probably didn't sell many because it wasn't marketed properly. The distributors didn't "get it" and therefore didn't tout it's bang for buck advantages and speed advantages for certain types of parts, to the potential customers for such.

Back