What's new
What's new

VF-10 leaking nitrogen

The Energy Rebel

Hot Rolled
I've been at this shop about a month and they just bought a vf-10, used.
We've been checking it out, getting tooling, etc. and yesterday it went into e-stop and we couldn't get it started again.
The Haas guy came today and recharged the nitrogen cylinders. That was the alarm and it was on all day, but not running anything.
I asked if it was leaking and the answer was, "we didn't find any leaks."

Tonight I start the 2nd job and voila, e-stop with same message.
One cylinder has dropped below minimum pressure, the other is ok.

2 questions:

Is there a good way to find out where it's leaking from? (hose, schroeder valve, cylinder)

It doesn't sound that difficult to add the gas yourself. Is it?

I'm sure someone out there has encountered this before, but I haven't.
Thanks.
:confused:

I have the same thing with my VF-8. It seems to be the counterweight cyclinder seals.
We recharge when the pressure drops. Some times it's once a week or once every 2 months. You may need to replace the cyclinder piston seals.

You are welcome to call me if you have any questions.

Marvin Chivers L&W MACHINE 757-857-4145

I am not familiar with a dual cylinder ballast system but indeed the cylinder seals seem to be the weak link and the reason that Haas did away with some of this in modern day machines.

Filling with N is not a big deal and if you do it right, you do not need to add oil but if you release the gas fast enough, it will purge out the oils as well. Going to have to support the head, drop the Z way covers, depressurize the N cylinders and rebuild. A GOOD idea to do both while down if they are not discrete systems.

Thanks for the replies. I go to work in a few hours and I'll know more then.
I suspected the seals in the cylinders, but was hoping for something easier and cheaper, like a valve or line.
Oh well.
Appreciate the help.

I am not familar with VF10 but on some Haas they also have an accumulator.

Some accumulators have internal bladders and the bladders develope leaks. Some accumulators the bladder is replaceable.

If you have the correct fittings (they are available as a KIT) you can get a local welding/gas supply house to bring N so you can refill yourself.

I have such a kit for Deckels(Hydac Accumulators)I believe the filling kit was $400.00 of course I paid for mine with a couple of rebuilds but a possibility for a do it yourself repair.

Regards
DD

Well the boss told us they have a 30 day warranty of sorts from the seller, so we'll see what if they want to fix it or return it.
Smart money is they'll fix it for an adjusted selling price, but thanks for the help.

Back