What's new
What's new

5 axis with an older VMC

viper

Titanium
We were looking at maybe selling our oldest VF this year but gave thought to keeping it for porting or other 5 axis work. We have true 4th on the machine and a rotary but thought about getting something setup for the 5th. I realize I would likely have to buy stuff from Haas like a processor board, memory upgrade, etc to handle the 5th along with HSM or lookahead to better control higher speed contouring. I realize the machine would not be blazing fast but might give us a stepping stone for 5 axis work and we have some stuff in house that needs done.

Any thoughts as to the level of rebuilding in an older machine? I feel we can find a used 5th rotary and do much of the work ourselves and possible get it done for 5 grand (ish). Machine is paid for and at this point, needs replaced because it is just too slow for production type stuff but it we stick a single ballnose in it and let it get happy for several hours, it might have a better fit in the shop.

Did you know that HAAS started building tilting head style 5 axis in recent yrs?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Never even looked. I guess if I was buying a 5 axis, I would not buy Haas. I would agree though, tilting head sure seems far superior to trunnion setups. I was going to "wing it" with 2 rotaries just the have the capability. There is no way we could justify 5 axis right now. Not real sure I would want too much 5 axis work anyway...

This is a 97 model. Already has the 5th enables in the control and will only take a couple cables to get full 5th enabled. Just a thought really. No idea if this will go anywhere. I am certainly not a huge fan of the machine it owes us nothing and certainly not much use to us as a 3 axis. Figured a small 5axis package might open some doors.

Back