What's new
What's new

Mini Mill Spindle Maintenance

coyotekid

Cast Iron
Since the Haas manuals are a bit lacking to say the least, is there any additional maintenance needed on the Super Mini Mill spindles?

It's my understanding the oil mist is the only lubrication, and as long as the lines aren't plugged, air supply is good shape, and there's plenty of clean way oil in the tank, then we're good to go...

Is this correct?

Pretty much correct with one addition; do the Warm Up cycle before using the machine every day.

Every day is a bit of overkill if the machine is in a heated space but if it gets cold overnight it is a good idea. When you power the machine up it will tell you to do the warm up if it has been shut down for longer than a few days or if the temperature has dropped low enough.

I shortened the Warm Up cycle to about ten minutes from the factory set 20 minutes and have several Super Minis with thousands of hours on the spindles and they are running fine.

If your shut the machine down for several weeks then you should do thr Run In cycle and monitor the spindle temperature every fifteen minutes. If the spindle warms up reset and restart the Run In program until it stays cool all the way through.

Thanks for the help.

We always run the warmup programs each morning without question, even though we're in a climate controlled shop.

It sounds like we're doing something right for once... :willy_nilly:

Since the Haas manuals are a bit lacking to say the least, is there any additional maintenance needed on the Super Mini Mill spindles?

It's my understanding the oil mist is the only lubrication, and as long as the lines aren't plugged, air supply is good shape, and there's plenty of clean way oil in the tank, then we're good to go...

Is this correct?

The spindle cartridge in the Mini Mill is pretty much maintenance free except for the items you've already mentioned. The suggestion of HDPG is also a hugely important issue on any machine (especially ones with ceramic bearings)
Starting a spindle up at full duty cycle speed when it is cold has killed as many spindles as crashes in my experiences.

Back