What's new
What's new

Linear guides(rails) on HMC's or not?

jdj

Diamond
Just wondering if Haas is doing the linear guide deal, box ways or some of both on their HMC's. If anyone has one, how does it perform when hogging steel or other tough materials?Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff
Haas uses linear guide rails in all their product lines-no box way construction as far as I know.
Having (3) Haas verticals,you learn real quick that they don"t like heavy cuts with large cutters- lots of chatter.

I am not sure if you were looking at a new HAAS or an used on. The original horizontal mills had all 3 axis on the column. The new ones like the EC400 have the X and Y on the column and the Z moves the part/table.

I was told that the name change to EC was for Engineering Change.

The original ones were a little less rigid.

A big enough set of rails should compare equally to any given size of box's eh?

Rails are a lot easier to replace in the field.

I would hafta think that rails are more precise as they don't have near the stiction as a box. With heavy loads - trying to locate would only be tougher. Of course dbl screws can help, but they can help on rails as well.

As long as they were big enough, I wouldn't write them off.

A semi local shop has just gotten in a 1600. The install had just been finished the last I talked to them, so I don't know how it is working out for them - or how heavy of cuts they are taking. You know - not all big jobs require big cuts. I have ran a lot of big stuff with fussy tols and less than rigid parts/setups. Life doesn't always revolve around a 6" basket cutter.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You know - not all big jobs require big cuts. I have ran a lot of big stuff with fussy tols and less than rigid parts/setups. Life doesn't always revolve around a 6" basket cutter.
-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You are preaching to the choir on that point. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who believes this! I was only curious as to how the Haas horizontals compared to the "better" names in the game. From what little I have seen and heard, linear guides vs. box-ways, would (probably) give at least a little insight.

Jeff

Most machine tool builders are using linear guides now. I wouldn't generalize that linear guides are the same from all manufacturers. Consider:

-width of rail and length of bearing block
-model of bearing block (LOTS of different types per manufacturer...that you won't find online)
-mounting method of rails and blocks (auxiliary side clamps on the rails are used in better installations)
-ballscrew size and ballnut length
-ballscrew mounting method (preloaded...i.e. radial AND axial support on both ends)

...and don't forget about the spindle...huge contributor to machine rigidity and performance comes from the spindle.

another difference on linear guides is the type of bearing in the block, are the "linear ball' or "linear roller".

I see some machines like Doosan and Yamaseiki clam substantially higher rigidity from linear roller. I have no experience with roller so I can't really say they are better.

You are preaching to the choir on that point. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who believes this! I was only curious as to how the Haas horizontals compared to the "better" names in the game. From what little I have seen and heard, linear guides vs. box-ways, would (probably) give at least a little insight.

Jeff

We are talking about a Haas, I think I can assume they will perform in a similar fashion to the way they perform across the board. That is a good light duty machine. If you need to rough, expect to take an extra pass or two here and there as they are not the most rigid machines nor do they offer the HP to remove massive amounts of metal in a hurry. You'll get the job done, but may require a bit more time. Don't have more time..or need more accuracy, then pony up some extra cash for the "better" brands. It's a trade-off.

Back