What's new
What's new

Anyone here had to deal with a chip auger motor failure on a VF?

viper

Titanium
Our older VF1 just started blowing fuses in forward. In reverse, it works fine but in forward, it moves about an inch and blows the fuse. I have troubleshot things down to the motor/gear box assy. Motor does not have a pleasant smell and as well, when I pulled the wire cover off, there is coolant coming out.

All in all, I want to pull the motor and start there. Has anyone done this? I have parts running that cannot stop and it is looking like I need to open the thing on the inside. Is there a way to get the motor off by itself?

To get the motor off you will need to disconnect it from the auger shaft and unbolt it using the 4 SHCS where the motor shaft goes into the machine. This is a 2 person job. If you need to keep running you will have to fabricate up a plate to go in place of the motor to keep all your coolant in.

From there you can service the motor as needed. I would first check the capacitor as this is the most common source of your problem. Run it outside of the machine after any repairs first to avoid double work.

Good luck!

Runs in reverse but not forward so I am not suspecting the cap yet. I am opening the gear box as well to make sure I find the source of the problem...

gear reduction motor

Hello yes I have dealt with these types of motors. I personally think your motor got into a bind somewhere down the line and got very hot before blowing a fuse.You can either rebuild the motor or order a new one and they are kinda high... God bless.

I will admit they are not the "Best"...but I'll take the auger over a shovel any day.

I will agree with that. I get VERY sick of pulling all the chips towards the auger just so it can move them out. They sure as hell did not make the machines "shovel friendly" either... How about a damn real conveyor system and more pitch on all the ways and floors????

Viper,
Mine failed some years ago....but the problem was the gear box had filled with coolant. I replaced the bearings, cleaned, added grease and sealed the unit well. Mine failed at the end of the day...so I was offline over night. Not a bad fix.
Carl

Any idea what a new motor/gear box assy costs from Haas? I would like to have an idea before I call some motor guys to rebuild this one. The motor is done. I have no idea why. The motor itself did not get coolant in it, just the termination points. I retested with reverse and got smoke from the motor so something certainly is not right...

Any sign of carbon tracking?

Can you see any signs of carbon tracking in the motor wiring junction box? Look for a black line of crud between the reverse power lead and the chassis of the motor.

The coolant and other contaminates can cause a conductive path for the motor voltage to chassis. Once conduction starts it can carbonize the contaminates creating a carbon resistor between voltage and ground.

If you see sign of this condition try scraping it away and then flushing out the junction box with electrical contact cleaner.

Got it going. Apparently the motor assy developed a coolant leak around it and it ran right down to the termination box on the motor and screwed up all the connections. After meter testing everything on the motor, I was convinced it was fine so I reterminated it and bolted it up. Has been running for hours now without issue. Also got my coolant leak fixed in the process. I don't think Haas was thinking on that one... If the terminations were truly water tight, there would not have been an issue and my solo cup would still be in use...

Back