What's new
What's new

"pausing" a haas program

joesimmers

Aluminum
I am cutting out a pocket with 2 cuts, 1 rough and 1 finish.

At the end of the rough cut I would like to "pause" the machine to make sure the slug fell thru.

I have tryed M0 and M1 without luck.

At the end of the "pause" I would like to just hit the cycle start button.

Any easy way to do this?

Thanks, Joe

pausing without stopping spindle

an M01 should do it, do you have the optional stop turned on on your control?

I can get it to work with the M1 but I have to program a M3 after the M1 to restart the spindle.

Is there a way to "pause" the machine without stopping the spindle?

Thanks, Joe

I am sure there is a way to add a feed hold in a macro or possibly some other idea. I would say to very easaiest for you would be a G4. G4 is a pause in program for a determined length of time. I use it commonly to make damn sure my coolant is on for certain operations like tapping. G4 P4. would be a hold for 4 seconds, then move to the next block. remember the (.). The G4 can be held for seconds or minutes, whichever. If I were you, I would just add the G4 and give your self enough time to stop the machine if you notice a problem.

If you have macros look at interactive user input. You would not need to press cycle start but simply answer a question. Here is the example from the manual:

N1 #501= 0. (Clear the variable)
M109 P501 (Sleep 1 min?)
N5 IF [ #501 EQ 0. ] GOTO5 (Wait for a key)
IF [ #501 EQ 89. ] GOTO10 (Y)
IF [ #501 EQ 78. ] GOTO20 (N)
GOTO1 (Keep checking)
N10 (A Y was entered)
M95 (00:01)
GOTO30
N20 (An N was entered)
G04 P1. (Do nothing for 1 second)
N30 (Stop)
M30

You can modify this to ask if the slug has dropped.

Last edited:
Why not just type in something like this:

G0Z3.
M0.
S2000 M3.
G0G90G54X0.Y0.M8
G43H1Z1.
etc. etc.
I mean its not as easy as a pause button I will give you that, but it takes about 15 sec to type in. You probably already know this, I'm just saying.

So what's so bad about having to prog a spindle start afterwards? I'm not seeing an issue here? :confused:

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It's an easy fix.

Take your Z up 2 inches and enter M9 then enter M0 (zero)

To restart, just tell your machine M3 to turn the spindle back on then M8 to turn the coolant on and the program will run from there.

No need to write a complicated Macro program.

I'm with Ox on this one. why can't you make your program and have it retract to Z10.0 and add an M00, then check your part and cycle start again?

Back