What's new
What's new

Ec400 70 tool macizine

It is the same system that has been around on the verticals for many years only the 70 pocket tool changer is just a bigger wheel.

once your tools start migrating away from each other the changer rotates slower than some operations. for instance, Im using tool 1 for a 10 second cycle and tool 2 is in pocket 30 now. it takes nearly 20 seconds for the turret to get to the next tool so you actualy loose more than you gain. any more of our machines will stick with the standard 24 tool unless absolutely neccesary.

once your tools start migrating away from each other the changer rotates slower than some operations. for instance, Im using tool 1 for a 10 second cycle and tool 2 is in pocket 30 now. it takes nearly 20 seconds for the turret to get to the next tool so you actualy loose more than you gain. any more of our machines will stick with the standard 24 tool unless absolutely neccesary.

I know exactly what you are talking about and I believe I have a solution to your problem. The machine I work on has a big 60 tool changer and a long tool change cycle. In our program post what we do is we call up a tool, change it and then after the tool change call up the next tool to get it in position for the next tool change.

EX:

T1
M6
M01
T2

This way you change your tool and the tool changer starts positioning the next tool while you run your cycle. I know some machines are picky about calling up a T# and not having an M6 after it, but I believe a HAAS should be able to do it.

Hope that helps

but I believe a HAAS should be able to do it

Your belief is correct.

Here's some of my sample code for our VF2. Same idea applies

Code:
N2 G91 G28 Z0
G80 G49 G40 G20 G17
T2 M6 (  NO. 29 DRILL | T: 2 | D: 2 | H: 2 | DIA: .136 )
G0 G90 G54 X0. Y4.6875 S3370 M3
G43 H2 Z.1 [B]T7     <-------------- Tool 7 will be ready[/B]                
/M8
G99 G83 Z-.6282 R.1 Q.1 F13.48
X3.3146 Y3.3146
X4.6875 Y0.

Never had a problem with ours. They are both 07 models with 70pockets. They are extremly slow but using the tool call up feature that has already been mentioned they are nice. Its also easy to barrow tools from one machine to the other without stoping program. I will mention that if you forget to put a tool back in, it can really mess up a wireless probe trying to touch up on an empty spindle.

The 2 different EC400s I have ran never had any problems with the tool changer. Also, if you call up a tool after the tool change as some described, make sure you let the operator know. They might get confused if they are newbies and tried to scroll through the program to start at a certain tool. You might also want to put the tool number on a line above the G43 line. That way it wont crash and will alarm out if the T# and H# doesn't match, if somebody was to get confused. It probably would alarm out with them being on the same line, but I'm not sure. Also another thing to keep in mind is that they can do a tool change quicker than they can rotate the pallet, or at least the ones I ran did.

Back