What's new
What's new

Z Axis Position Display

mrvinton

Plastic
I have both a VF-5 and a VM-3 with the latest version of the operating system.
Both machines have electronic tool setters which work great. My question is does anyone know how to get the z axis display to display the tool tip relative to part Z zero when manually calling up tools. I find it frustrating when I am doing quick a quick and dirty manual operation that I have not done a program for and it only gives the position relative to the spindle face even though the tool has already been set with the tool setter. I do not see why the machine is not smart enough to load the tool length when you manually call a tool from the carousal.
I know that I can MDI all the information in and call the tool or run a program and I will get the length right with the tool tip and part zero being right rather than the spindle face being relative to the part Z zero.
We sent the problem off to the Haas answer man and got no response. So we sent a request asking what happened to our request which caused Haas to notify our local dealer who's tech guy called us and was worthless. Said he has had this request before and Haas is going to do nothing about it. Its not a safety issue and a bunch of other BS!!

I know this can be fixed because I have done it on a Deckle VMC with a Heidenhain control and a Fanuc control by getting into to the the tool change macro and adding the the proper G and H code in the macro to call the tool length when you call the tool change.

Has anyone fixed this on there machine? Am I missing a setting some where that I do not know about.

I don't have a fix for your specific question, but what I do in your situation is, in MDI:

G80 G90 G54 M6 T1;
G43 H1;
G0 Z0. (OR WHATEVER)

Then go to the operator readout and zero the Z. All moves you make from there are incremental from your G5x Z zero.

It is quite fast once you've done it a few times.

I actually don't think there is a fix, at least not on mills.
The reason would be that on mills you have to activate the length offsets explicitly with G43 and the H-word.
Unlike the lathe command T101, simply calling the T1 M06 on a mill won't call the offset, and I don't think any Fanuc style control does either without editing the toolchange macro.
I don't believe Haas gives access to that.

I totally agree with you. I guess I just don’t like making that many key strokes.

In MDI, Entering T1 then hitting ATC Forward to load the tool and then Z0 cycle start or whatever just seems easier and quicker to me.

No operator readout needed I use it now. I just seems so common sense that when a tool that has been set and has been called you should be able to know right where the tool tip is in relation to your part zero with having to manual generate all the prep commands.

For god sakes its a computer and it should make it easier and quicker for the operator. The shame is that I have run a lot of machines that do it right.

I actually don't think there is a fix, at least not on mills.
The reason would be that on mills you have to activate the length offsets explicitly with G43 and the H-word.
Unlike the lathe command T101, simply calling the T1 M06 on a mill won't call the offset, and I don't think any Fanuc style control does either without editing the toolchange macro.
I don't believe Haas gives access to that.

The two controls I fixed in the past were both fixed in the tool change macro by having it call the the H word and the G43 in the Fanuc the Heidhenhain was a little different but essentially the sane procedure. It was pretty simple so I feel it should be simple fix.

I feel that our local dealer does not want to help and I still need to see what is involved with asking for a product enhancement if a solution can not be found.

One of the real sweet spots on the A2100. It does just what you want.:)
I think your on the right track to try something in the TC macro.
It really is quite nice.:D

Back