What's new
What's new

SL30 Gang Tooling

csharp

Stainless
I have a SL30, I am looking for some creative ways to make some gang tooling, or just basically put more that one tool in a turret position.

Has anyone ever done this? I was thinking I could make a large block to bolt in where the OD tools would go and put some multiple tools in there.

On the CNC forum there was someone who did that. Basically just a hunk of steel put into one of the Tool slots and machined for a couple tools.

I have thought about it myself to reduce cycle time...but seems everytime I get a run large enough to justify the time needed to make up a tooling block the customer changes up the part design.

In the Standard Bolt on Tooling (BOT) list Haas shows two Twin holders...

The first is "Twin Turn" for turning that holds two 1" Tools PN# BOT20OD-1T

and

the second a "Twin Bore" holder that shows two 3/4" bores for boring tools. PN# BOT 20ID-3/4T

I'm sure with a little imagination one could add to their design for additional tools.

Gang tooling

The shop I am at has sl20 w live tooling and a sl10. On the sl10 I use micro carbide tools a lot. I made a holder which will hold two tools of different diameter shanks. They are spaced apart about 1 1/4 inch or so. I have found it helpful to use. I have seen where some have made holders which will hold more than one colleted tools and they can be made in house. What I have realized is that with common tools and speed of setup that it helps to have tombstone blocks already set up to run commonly used boring bars and so on. I have seen good ideas on these being made in house also. I have decided that to have extra blocks and sleeves already set up and ready to go would cut time in setup. My problem is that the shop boss bdoes not believe in it and so I am not free to order or make what I have unless I have time one day and can sneek it in. I don't know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea on this site or not but that is the way I am leaning.

Back