What's new
What's new

HAAS handwheel movement

baran3

Cast Iron
Where I work there is a 2009 HAAS Toolroom mill with an enclosure. When moving the table with the handwheel it seems to move very slowly like it can't keep up with the speed that you turn it even in .01 incriments. Also it accumulates some of the turns that you are cranking to fast that makes it "spongy" when you stop cranking. I've used older larger "real" HAAS machines (VF-4 / VF-7 / VR-11) and I never noticed this when cranking in .01 incriments. I did notice the "you stop cranking it keeps moving phenomenon when using .100 incriments" so i stopped using .100 on those machines. The fanuc machines at work keep up (do not accumulate pulses at least) and definitely move faster when cranking in .01 than this HAAS TM mill....

So is this a case of....
1. Thats just because it's a TM mill and it has cheaper servo motors etc.
2. Or do all newer HAAS machines behave like this. The HAAS machines I ran in the past were late 1990's machines and they seemed fine to me.

It's funny that you'd mention that, I thought it was just me, LOL!
It must be something new.
At the shop, we have two older models and one about a year old.
The first time I went to touch off on the new one, I cranked the Z down and glad I'm overly cautious.
I thought I was gonna push the E/M right thru the part!
It stopped about .100 away, finally, and I never got that close again in .01 incremental.

Overtravel

Been working on a TM2 purchased new last year,the guy from Haas warned us about this,and even beeing carefull ive had a few minor misshaps with it(even after releasing the wheel it "overtraveled" about an inch and a half)mostley in the "Z" axis.I usually do most of my Z manual movements off the vise or workpiece.
Greg

I think its fairly normal. When I bought mine I was warned about it. I disabled the highest jog speed button while I got used to the machine

I beleive I have the same machine that you're talking about it's a TM-1P correct? I noticed that as well since the VF-2 works better. I'm guessing they're just different servos, the ones on the TM-1P aren't as efficient as the bigger machines. Never had an issue about breaking a tool or such, I'm always careful when I hand jog the machine.

FWIW,

It's not new.
I have a 2004 TM-1 and it "accumulates" pulses, even on the .010 setting. Can be hairy if you are in a hurry to pickup a tool length.

Since it appears to accumulate even on a 0.010" setting I'd think its more likely a controller speed issue than limitations of the servo's, they should be fast enough to keep up with any 0.010" hand cranked moves.

Paul T.

CUSTOMWORKS: what year is the VF-2 you are running? It is a TM-1P that I am talking about. I was hoping this is just a TM thing and that new larger HAAS machine behave like normal CNCs that are intended to be used. I couldn't believe that their VF series machines would all the sudden have a design change that was so egregious. I can't believe they let the TM's out the door like this. I'm sure there is someone at HAAS that walked up and tested it and said "WTF"

Back