What's new
What's new

How to properly grid shift Haas Lathe after crash?

Nick H

Aluminum
Well we have a brand new 2010 Haas ST-30 lathe, new employee decided it would be nice of him to load up a bar improperly with the Haas bar loader. It didn't measure the bar and on the second part pushed an inch and a half longer than designed to in the program. Center drill came around and pushed the stock back that inch and a half into the collet, pushed the 1" center drill back and now the machine is out of wack. Ran a part and the x axis is off about .01" smaller on the od and ID. What is the proper way to get things back like they were before the crash in the controller like setting my center line and what not? On the mechanical side the turret seems to be square still, have not yet checked the spindle.

Ok found the info.. here is it in case anyone else would like it.

HAAS ST30 Rest Center Line Procedure

1. Record X-axis center line value.
2. Align spindle and turret if required first.
3. Use coaxial indicator and find the center of an i.d. pocket.
4. Record the machine X-axis Machine Position on a piece of paper.
5. Go to setting 7 turn off Parameter lock (Push E Stop)
6. Go to Parameter 254 record the number.
7. Use the number from 254 in a formula
divided parameter 254 by recorded old X-axis center line, times new X-axis position value. Change value in parameter 254 to this.
Example 1109217 / -21.3233= 52019.012 x –21.3134 = 1108702 Enter in this < number for PA 254
8, Retouch off all of your tools.

Last edited:
Your a much calmer person then me.

I cannot fathom what goes thru peoples minds...If you don't know what your doing and it's not yours leave it alone....

Thanks for the rundown...wonder if it will work on my SL-20. Had a guy program a G0 instead of a G1 for an Indexable drill...Indexables may cut fast...but not that fast. X Axis is out .025 and every time I think about calling Haas about it my blood starts to boil. Maybe an honest mistake...but it was a proofed CAM program...he had no reason to be in there...if anything tweak the feed...see Its happening again Boiling...

Glad it worked out for you...

Hey...with the new ST...any idea how it compares to the SL series...in real life, not actual Haas values.

Yes that is the exact way to set centerline. It will work on all the Haas lathes. You should not have to touch off all your tools after doing this.

As for the new ST-30, we have the first one sold. It is by far better than the SL models hands down. If I were a shop owner and had a SL, I would deinately trade it in on the new ST.

Hey bsumrall, do you work for Hass? On another post that you started, you state that you go to hundreds of shops in Texas and then go on to say how great Hass machines are. Now you say that "we" have the first ST-30. Who is "we"? Sounds almost like you are a Hass sales man, if so fess up so we can see where your bias is coming from.
Bill

yes I work for a Haas dealer, and refering to "we" is our region has one of the first if not the first one. I am a service tech for haas, couldnt pay me enough to be a salesman

Back