What's new
What's new

Considering buying a TM-1

laminar-flow

Stainless
Considering buying a TM1

I am considering buying a TM1 and have received a quote. What can I expect regarding negotiation of the price?

Present 1st quote:

TM1 $22995.00
Rigid Tap $1195.00
Coolant Pump $ 895.00
Full table chip guard $795.00
10 station changer $7095.00

I am considering buying a TM1 and have received a quote. What can I expect regarding negotiation of the price?

Present 1st quote:

TM1 $22995.00
Rigid Tap $1195.00
Coolant Pump $ 895.00
Full table chip guard $795.00
10 station changer $7095.00

Don't forget to add the side pan extentions for $595.00.

I had a TM1 with everything you are getting plus a 5C 4th axis. It was a great machine.

Tm-1

I know you are looking at a TM-1, but thought I would just give you a little input on the TM-1p.

If you can afford it I would look at the TM-1P as it has the full enclosure and I believe it comes standard with the tool changer.

Also, the small coolant pump may be suitable for the TM-1 unenclosed machine but it will not cut it on the TM-1P. The larger 3/4HP pump is well worth the extra cost.

I am extremely happy with my 2007 TM-1P. Wish I had got my machine wired for the 4th Axis.

John

Hi

Great machine , a bit messy with coolant as John mentioned without enclosure ( I havent the space anyway :rolleyes5: )

In uk comes with Haascam which is Onecnc Express which will run it a dream with usb or rs232.

If 3d work to be done get HSM lookahead option in the deal.

Cheers Kev :cheers:

Skip the table guard in my opinion

I have a TM-1, and originally ordered the table guard. Before the machine was hooked up, I decided to send the table guard back. It makes it very hard to get at a vise, and hard to take a measurement, and seemed like it would be awkward to have to reach over it to do anything on the table.

It couldn't do much to contain coolant. I don't use coolant, so I made a shower curtain arrangement for flying chips. For flood coolant, I'd go with the full enclosure machine.

If you are going to order the small coolant pump I would be interested in selling mine for $500 delivered to you.

I would buy the bigger pump for our machine.

I also suggest the probe/toolsetter option.

Tim

Had one, LOVED it other than no tool changer.
Built my own enclosure and was agreat machine, just got tired of changing tools, so I got moved into a Fadal for a pretty good price.
Good luck
Smitty

I might add the 4th but not sure yet. I do not think the full enclosure will be necessary in my case as I'm cutting plastic, and aluminum, small parts, no production to speak of. There will be cases when the machine may sit for weeks and water based coolant will cause issues.

Does anyone have a feel for just how much a HFO will negotiate price?

In my experience most owners of the machines seem pretty happy, but I've seem comments from people who evaluated them and passed that they didn't think the machine was rigid or massive enough.

TM-1 owners, has machine rigidity or lack of mass been an issue at all for you?

Paul T.

When I had my TM1, I would cut titanium, inconel and hardened steel. I made it a practice to never use anything larger than a .500 end mill to cut titanium and .375 to cut inconel.

I ran one inconel job that I would get about 100 pieces out of a ruff end mill. I would run the ruffer till it broke, then move the finish cutter to be the ruffer and put in a new finisher.

I am about to buy another TM1. This time I will buy it with no tool changer, then add it at a later date. For now I can change a tool a lot of times for $7,100.00.

I can get a TM1 with rigid tap, table enclosure and side extensions for less than $26,000.00.

For my money, you can't beat the TM1. I looked at several other machines at WESTEC and even the machines from Southwestern Industries were over 30K, and a tool changer or rigid tap is not even available.

I'm going to be selling my 2007 Haas TM-1P with less than 300 hours of spindle time on it (probably will end up with 350-400 hours on it by the time it goes out the door).

If you need the ability to put long or large parts in the vises that don't fit in the enclosure or you don't have to room for the enclosure to start with then of course the TM-1 is a better choice.

But if you don't mind a few scratches and the loss of the "new" smell as it comes in the door, you can save a lot of money and spend it on other things you might need.

I'm selling mine for $20 500 including 10 tool holders, 2 Kurt 575 6" vises, the coolant measuring thing (forgot the name). I will load on a flatbed truck (but you or your driver needs to take control after that.

At the moment I'm talking to another PM member from Utah and he will have first opportunity without any pressure (as we are both not in any time constraint at the moment to get this done).

If this sale doesn't work out and you want to consider a used machine send me a PM.

Otherwise you can use this information perhaps to get a better price or reference it as an example of what pricing might get you and make a search in your area for used Haas machines.

I love mine, I just don't use it (obvious from the spindle hours), I'm going to buy an older machine without tool changer, no enclosure and use the extra money for other things at the moment. Hoping to buy a late 80's or early 90's machine (something like my last SuperMax YCM-40 with Anilam control that I sold for $2500).

Hope this helps.

My 2005 I bought last month has the same features, however did also come with the 4th axis installed. No indexer or 4th with it, or ever used on it. The one advantage I am told is the servo driver for the 4th is there for a future 4th OR its a back up for one of the other three axis. Nice to have it there and have the option of A axis.

For the $$ this machine is making real nice cuts. 12yrs ago I ran a VF2, the big difference is just the depth of cut one can take. Not just in rigidity but in HP too. For my use the TM1 is outstanding in my limited space and that its used for proto typing and one off custom of our own products.

Mark

BTW: I would never get one with out a tool changer. That is a huge difference in resale.

Last edited:
Hey Laminar Flow,

Seems like you're pretty set on buying a new TM1, i guess? But for the $33,000 dollars you're looking to spend.... why not look at what that will buy you in the used market? That much money will buy you a LOT more machine than a little TM1. Just saying. Good luck either way though, we have a VF3 and for the last 5 years that machine has been absolutely rock solid.

Hey Laminar Flow,

Seems like you're pretty set on buying a new TM1, i guess? But for the $33,000 dollars you're looking to spend.... why not look at what that will buy you in the used market? That much money will buy you a LOT more machine than a little TM1. Just saying. Good luck either way though, we have a VF3 and for the last 5 years that machine has been absolutely rock solid.

Ya, like almost two used late model TM-1s. Got my low hr 05' for $17k. (I know I got a deal) Great machine for the $. Tom3197 is right $33k will buy alot bigger used machine in my case the TM1 fit the bill due to its size.

no, it's still for sale.

Jerrel, a PM member from SLC Utah needs to sell his lathe before he can buy a milling center, he just doesn't use his lathe enough and he has no room with that lathe and the bar feeder to bring in another milling machine (even though the TM-1P has a pretty small footprint).

If you are interested send me an e-mail and I will keep you updated. I would like to sell this machine before winter hits so I have about 2 and 1/2 months to find a buyer. It has less than 400 spindle hours, 2007 model, 6000 RPM, rigid tap, chip auger, 2 Kurt 6" vises D675's, 10 tool holders.

So powerglider did you sell your Haas

Back