What's new
What's new

Chuck changeout on a TL-1? Tailstock alignment?

gunsmither

Aluminum
I thinking about a TL-1 for my shop, and would like some input from any TL-1 owners/users regarding the changing of chucks. I would use mostly 5c's, but would want a 3 and 4 jaw also. I've read a few places that it's a pain to do. I'm not familiar with the A5(?) spindle. Any comments from TL-1 users would be appreciated.

A few years back, it seems there were some problems with tailstock alignment with the TL-1. Have they solved this problem? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks! Joe

I too would appreciate any feedback on this, I am contemplating purchasing one, the TL-2 looks better for my requirements though.

And with the state of the economy I would rather go for the larger one now than regretting it a month later

Mick

Hello,

The Tl-1 chuck change out is no more difficult then any other machine. Regarding the 5C I researched many different brands and had decided to buy the Royal air activated collet closer.

Before I bought the Royal a few phone calls were made to different customers and venders as to what they use. The decision. was made to buy a 5C fixture that is activated by a key near the nose. Then we made an adapter to go directly in the 3 jaw chuck. Very fast change out time.

Another point to consider is that we use a lot of 5C holding in our shop but rarely use it on the TL-1. The 3 jaws hold fairly accurately.

(edit) oh forgot about the tail stock. The only negative thing we heard here was they are difficult to move. With proper lubrication they move easily. The tail stock alignment seems good but we turn long parts and are always compensating for taper due to deflection. The procedure is quite easy.

Good Luck

Tailstock alignment was a problem on older models with independent travel locks. Newer machines have a different system and I understand it is more repeatable. I have the older one and I really dont see any problems but that doesnt mean they dont exhist.

Chuck changeout does take time but it depends on the chuck you choose. If your chuck bolts directly to the spindle then it is only a matter of a few bolts. I bought my lathe used and it has a Adjust Tru chuck so you must first take off the chuck and then the adapter plate. Once you put the chuck back on it has to be adjusted to run true again. I dont see this as a problem but it would save time if you spend the money for a good quality chuck.

Charles

Back