What's new
What's new

Haas HL-1 HL-2 Lathes

We had two HL-4's. The earlier one (1997) had a non-adjustable tailstock which was always causing grief & expensive Haas service calls. The later one (1999) had a redesigned one...beefier & adjustable from side to side. Not sure if this is relevant to the ones you're considering, but if so, look for the later tailstock design.
They weren't bad machines, at all. They held their accuracy. The earlier one was having belt slippage problems & the encoder pulleys were worn.

Manual for HL

Think I've got a manual for an older HL, if you need any info. or specs, machine weight, etc.

I don't know if Haas still has this manual on their website?

Or maybe one is posted here or somewhere about the web?

I imagine you'd get a rigger, but if you need it, there's probably rigging instructions in the book.

Last edited:
Post as new thread?

Nick,

I liked that post you wrote. Why not post it as a new thread in the Haas forum? Good info.

Thanks,
Jess

I imagine you'd get a rigger, but if you need it, there's probably rigging instructions in the book.

I am going to go look at the machine Thursday or Friday. Jess thanks for the offer on info out of the maunual, I will check to see if they have one when I look at it. like my VF2 I will do the rigging and hauling, the lathe is a little more than my mill but I dont think it will be too much of a problem.

Why not post it as a new thread in the Haas forum?

Ha! You had those 3 minutes it was online. I realized a typo, corrected it, re-read and then ... HL, not TL.
What I wrote is already deleted and forgotten. :-)

Furthermore, it were just my observations, and I'm a noob, no experence.

Nick

I've had a HAAS HL1 BB in my shop since it was new. It's worked just great. I've gone through 2 spindle encoders, which is to be expected since the mount is a really crappy design and the weight of the oversized timing gear takes out the encoder bearings eventually. I figure I'd fix it, but the encoders are around $300 and I can swap them out in less than an hour. 10+ years of service with $600 maintenance costs, I can live with that. It's still as accurate as when I first ran it.

Stu

The tailstock on those machines are crap if it is the one piece design. Also if it does not have a gearbox, I would not buy it.

Back