What's new
What's new

USB File Transfer

heith

Plastic
My machine does not have a floppy drive.
So I've been using an external floppy drive plugged into the USB port.
The USB port works fine with an external 3 1/2 " floppy drive.

However, recently I bought an external hard drive. If I plug it into the USB port I get an error stating that it's an unknown usb device and the external hard drive doesn't get any power and therefore doesn't work.

Any suggestions on how I can get this external hard drive working?

The machine is a 2009 year model so it's new.

The drive does have another cord that would allow it to be pluged into another USB port for power but the machine only has one usb port.

But...

The hard drive works fine if I plug it into the usb port on the computer in order to load my program onto it. The power comes on and I load my program onto it with no problem.

I hate it when people don't answer a question that I post, and instead tell me to do it differently. BUT . . .
Any reason for not using a USB flash drive? They're much more rugged than floppies or hard drives, and have amazingly large capacities these days. If you're using an external hard drive with a USB plug, I assume that your computer supports USB and all . . .

A quick 2 points:
1. The drive will only get enough power from the USB port if the port is capable of outputting the required power, obviously. Some are not. It seems like if you're not getting it to work the drive needs more power. Get a USB power adapter for plugging in ipods or whatnot and connect the second USB plug to that and see what happens.
2. You also need a driver available that can recognize generic USB storage. Hopefully point 1 may allow things to be recognized properly and assigned the proper driver.

Have you tried a 1 to 4 way usb spllitter?

1) You might be able to get away with it, one port will be recognized by the CNC machine while the other one powers your hard drive. Those USB splitters are very inexpensive definatelly worth the shot and if it doesn't work those splitters cone in very handy.

2) Have you ever considered upgrading your USB? a 32MB will cost about $40 or less if you get a good deal. How much memory do you need?

Check these.

Newegg.com - usb power hub

Look at the reviews, some of these will slow the transfer rate.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Back