What's new
What's new

Can I get a Haas vf-1 through a 7' door?

bellinoracing

Hot Rolled
Well I found a machine that I am somewhat interested in. Its a 1990 haas vf-1. It looks like the original shop I wanted to use is not going to work out so I will have to put it in my home garage which only has 7' doors. The spec sheet I have says the machine is 8'x8'x8' but I am not sure if thats with the spindle down like it would be when it is shipped or if it needs 8' of clearance to run.

thanks

Yes you can, I put my 92 VF2 through a 7' door.

You will need to remove the Z axis motor, and find some slack for the Spindle wire loom so you can unbolt it and lay it down. You will only have a couple inches to spare so you will want to find some low profile skates or get some plate to slide it under the door.

Yes you can, I put my 92 VF2 through a 7' door.

You will need to remove the Z axis motor, and find some slack for the Spindle wire loom so you can unbolt it and lay it down. You will only have a couple inches to spare so you will want to find some low profile skates or get some plate to slide it under the door.

Thanks thats exactly what I needed to know. Is that spindle motor difficult to put back on? Does it just go on one way or does it need to be indexed exactly how it came off(like on a splined shaft)?

The height of this machine may be the selling point for me. I have looked into a few other machines like cincinnati and lagunamatic and they all taller. I believe I have about a 8'6" ceiling in my garage. Does anyone know what other machine would fit?

thanks again

Not the spindle motor the motor on the z axis ball screw. To take it off the motor four bolts on the flange then a coupling to the ball screw that is keyed. So when it goes back together there is only one way it can go.

Depending on your degree of obsession, compulsion, and whether that door is on the gable end, you might find it not too hard to remove the door and the header.

Removing the header will buy you another 10 inches or so. I would do it ONLY if the door is on a non-bearing wall, i.e. gable end.

Not saying it's easy, but you may need to use that option, if your driveway slopes into the garage. As you move the machine under the door, you might find the machine getting 'taller'. Removing a few pieces of building might be needed.

Not the spindle motor the motor on the z axis ball screw. To take it off the motor four bolts on the flange then a coupling to the ball screw that is keyed. So when it goes back together there is only one way it can go.

Sorry z axis drive motor is what I meant. Thought maybe it had to go exactly like it was or it would try to overtravel either up or down. But it sounds easy enough if it is keyed.

Any idea how much room it needs to run? Just in general when they spec out the height of a machine do they give you the height with the spindle up or down?

Thanks again

I am in about the same boat as you at around 8'6" to the drywall. The only thing that gets close is the wire loom, and I have an inch or so to spare. Are you planning on putting it in the front of your garage under the garage door or in the back?

What happened to the other Haas, Hurco, LagunaMatic, and the Cinci Arrow 750 you were planning on purchasing?

Well everything has been somewhat hinging around a garage we were trying to build. After a waiting a year and paying a company over $6 grand I found out it it was all a scam and they never have built steel buildings. So I am going to talk to a lawyer tomorrow. And we just decided to go with a stick built wooden building. SO we should finally have a garage in the next couple months. It probably sounds like im blowing smoke about buying a machine but I am determined to make some sort of business work because I am just sick of working for other people. So as soon as I have a machine I will post some pics and share the experience and answer any questions and hopefully help out people that are in my shoes now. So thanks for everything everybody.

Thanks thats exactly what I needed to know. Is that spindle motor difficult to put back on? Does it just go on one way or does it need to be indexed exactly how it came off(like on a splined shaft)?

The height of this machine may be the selling point for me. I have looked into a few other machines like cincinnati and lagunamatic and they all taller. I believe I have about a 8'6" ceiling in my garage. Does anyone know what other machine would fit?

thanks again

just measured our VFO which is a VF1 in size just beltdrive. At the tool change for a umbrella tool pallet, the cable loom sits at 9 foot and remember that the Z can go higher than the tool change by about 3 to 4 inches. I have 9.5 ft over the machine and all is fine. You will have to cut a hole in the ceiling of your garage... I've done that before.

I am in about the same boat as you at around 8'6" to the drywall. The only thing that gets close is the wire loom, and I have an inch or so to spare. Are you planning on putting it in the front of your garage under the garage door or in the back?

It will probably go off to the side in the back. I was planning on cutting a hole in the sheet rock and letting the spindle head go up in between the rafters but it sounds like I may not have to do that. That would be nice.

So anyway how do you like your vf2?

thanks

just measured our VFO which is a VF1 in size just beltdrive. At the tool change for a umbrella tool pallet, the cable loom sits at 9 foot and remember that the Z can go higher than the tool change by about 3 to 4 inches. I have 9.5 ft over the machine and all is fine. You will have to cut a hole in the ceiling of your garage... I've done that before.

Really a belt drive huh? I always wondered what the difference in a VF-0 was.

Its been a good achine for what I ask it to do. I have had it for almost 2 years now and it has need a little maitnence here and there but being that it was the old machine in the facility that I got it from, it didnt gat all that much for love for a couple of years before I got it.

I will double check my celing height when I get home. After reading len_1962 post I may be wrong on the 8.5'.

I just ckecked and my garage is 8' 9" and I clear about 1" at max Z

Thanks for measuring that for me, I really appreciate it. How wide is the part that sticks up past 8'6"? My roof I believe is just under 8'6" but I dont have a problem cutting a hole in the sheet rock. As long as its narrow enough to go up between a couple rafters we shouldn't have a problem. I am guessing the spindle cable track is the highest point on the machine?

thanks again

FWIW, I know a guy with Mazak VMC in his "basement" who cut a hole in the floor above for the head to rise. He arranged the machine so that the head rises in a closet in his bedroom :)

Back