What's new
What's new

spindle wont turn

jprobst

Cast Iron
I think I busted a belt but I'm not sure. My spindle won't turn. It turns freely but when I type in s1200 m03 in the MDI nothing. When I try to orient spindle, nothing. Haas is supposed to be out here tomorrow but I was wondering if any of you have had an experience with this and if it sounds like a busted belt to you? Or do I have a bigger more expensive issue?

yes it is my friend, end easy to fix too!, We had that a few times. Will take you about 40 minutes to do it and check out the encoder belt, sometimes is better replace both, just don't through them out, you'll need them for exchange.

I broke a belt on my 06 vf5 and could still see the programed rpm on the controler, but nothing at the spindle. Pulled the spindle cover, losened the motor, put on new belt, retightened the motor. Did a recomended run in, re ajusted the belt tension. The problem was diagnosed over the phone by a Haas Tech.
Carl

Thanks guys. I'm a little more at ease. I know how problems can run a pretty pricey bill really quick.

Well, Haas repair guy came and changed belt. Left the old one and another brand new one. Said they come in packages of 2 so he left it. Took him 40 minutes and they charged me for 2 hours (OUCH) but at least I'm up and running again. He said these belts dont usually break. Well this one did. Thanks everybody.

If your machine is only using one belt, then that tells me that you do not have a gear box. Gearbox equals 2 belts which will last longer. I have had a single belt last as little as one year, it all depends on how hard it has been pushed.

Generally they are very tough belts, but after getting a lot of coolant and oil on the belt, pushing heavy cuts, etc it will just give out. Hopefully you took notice of how it was replaced so you can do the work yourself next time and save the cash. Replacement is pretty straight forward and you already have a spare belt on hand now. Just don't forget about resetting spindle orientation for the tool changer though.

Glad you are up and running again.

Seems everytime I have to pull the spindle cover off I break that darn tool release switch. Id rather take a lashing with a cane then replace another belt, even an encoder belt.

Last edited:
Seems everytime I have to pull the spindle cover off I break that darn tool release switch. Id rather take a lashing with a cane then replace another belt, even an encoder belt.

The Switch is a pain. I find lowering the head all the way and pulling cover front and then up and over the first casting ridge and back in, then carefully tramming the head up all the way does the trick for me. Reverse to install.

Back