What's new
What's new

New Haas Control Interface

W. Carter Marcy

Aluminum
Does anyone have a new style Haas? We just received our newest vf-2, and the control is way different than the others from a year or two ago. It is supposed to be more intuitive, but thus far we have found it to be a lot less user friendly. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experiance?

There is alot of difference in the new control. But, the more I use it, the more I like it. I admit there is alot of stuff going on at one time (like a Fanuc control) but there is a lot more to offer with it.

We just installed new 2010 VF3SSYT and oh my god that new control is terrible :willy_nilly:

Looks like windows 3.11

Control in our 2006 VF-8 is way better

I had the V8 on my TL2 and updated it to V9. Completely different, but now I like it. Looks a lot cleaner to me. I only miss the big display of X and Z, but that's about it.

Nick

When I got my new VF-4 it was so bad I had Haas back grade it to an older version control. Who ever though that this new control was a good idea has NEVER run a machine shop. Haas has lost touch of what made them or is it that Gene has been away and the egg heads have run amuck.

There are several things we dislike, but most of all the tool probe page is awful. It takes at least twice as long as our other machines. This is a big problem for us as we are a fast paced job shop, where dozens of tool changes a day are not uncommon. We have given the control an honest try, as we thought that it may be just because we are not used to it, but come to find out it really does suck. I am starting to entertain the idea of a software "downgrade". In my opion the new control is a blunder on par with when Coca-Cola changed to a new recipe.

I've been running a new VF4 for a few weeks and the new interface was very strange. Its starting to grow on me though. I actually like the new probing integration. I can get tools and parts probed now with less keystrokes. We started with 20 tool umbrellas on VF2's and ordered the vf4 with 40 tool smtc because 25 tools cover about 95 percents of our parts. Other than the initial tool loading, I'm only changing 2 or 3 tools per job change.
That said, I don't understand why the tool table needs to know what type tool and an approximate length? All that data entry was time consuming on the initial loading, so I see where you are coming from there.

Scott

Wolf44- Did you just do a software change? I asked my HFO about this and they said that there is no way, as there is new hardware that is specific to the new software. It may be a case of they don't know, or have never tried. They mistakenly thought that I was just not understanding the new interface, and suggested more training-not the case. I can make it work just fine, but not as fast as last years model.

I think that the problem that we have is that the last years software was the end of a long series of improvements, where the latest stuff is just the beginning. It will probably be refined as problems and complaints are addressed over the next several years. In the meantime, it is simply an irritation.

I haven't used a Haas control past about 2003. I don't understand what's so bad about the new style? It looks like the button array is the same but the screens are different. It Looks like it can display way more information at one time compared to the old style? What's wrong with that? Or is it that you have to do things differently and it takes more messing around?

One downside I found with the new interface on the TM-2 I was using is that you must be VERY careful with the MPG wheel! If you put the machine in HAND JOG mode and then go into the controller and try to use the handwheel to scroll through menu choices or edit the program (one or the other; I can't recall now), the HAND JOG mode is still active and will allow you to easily smoke your probe tip (or any other tool you have loaded) :nutter:. I thought for sure I was doing something wrong the first time, but everyone I've shown it to who is used to probing on the older control always laughs at me and says, "no it doesn't..." until they try it and end up with the same :eek: expression on their face :D. I meant to contact Haas about it but never had the time. So be careful!

Mike

Not a fan of the new control here either.

...could be because I do not use Control often enough to become familiar with it. I set long running jobs in machine and she chugs away for a week or so...

....I bought another Haas because "I Was Familiar" with the Control and didn't want to spend time learning a new control.

I liked the simplicity of the old Control...it just moved intuitively..now...just not the Happy Camper,,,but then again maybe things will change when I become more familiar...seems like they went for "gadgety" over simplicity.

Quick little bug if Haas reads this:
In edit mode -> Find/replace function.
The very last found entity does not show up on the screen as it is buried under the prompt.

Back