What's new
What's new

New Haas TM1's only available enclosed?

PaulT

Stainless
I've been planning to move up at some point from my current CNC knee mill to a Haas TM1 with the tool changer option.

Since the use is for prototyping and just small runs, I prefer an open machine, since during the prototyping process the parts come on and off the machine often for measurements and trial fits and trial usage and then revisions. On my current machine to avoid the coolant mess with the open machine I use the Trico Micro-Drop system and it works well.

But apparently the new TM1's are now only available fully enclosed to make them CE compliant. Incredibly, even the units without tool changers are fully enclosed.

CE compliance is a European standard, its not required in the US. The enclosure also adds around 3 grand to the TM1 cost.

In the past the entry level TM1 was a good deal compared to CNC knee mills which cost about the same price, with the TM1 you got a much better machine for about what a CNC knee mill costs.

Now that's not the case anymore, the TM1 price is much higher and you have to put up with working with an enclosure, which is especially insane if you bought the version without a tool changer.

What is Haas thinking with these changes? I think I sold a couple of TM1's for them by recommending them in the past to users looking for good prototyping machines, but I won't be making those recommendations anymore, and I guess I'll looking for a different brand of machine to move up to for my shop.

Paul T.
Power Technology

Haas Automation Inc. - CNC - TM-1 - Details - VMC_TM

It sure looks like they did away with the open mills to me.

I had a TM-1 without the enclosure. It was nicknamed the sloppy jalopy by the guys in the shop. I ended up buying the extended chip pans from the TM-2, that helped a little. Setup was very nice without the enclosure, but not worth the extra mess and saftey hazzard of coolant on the floors and chips slinging around. It was a decent machine and I probably would still have it if it had an enclosure.

The dimensions sheet still shows the normal TM1 without the enclosure, the TM1p is the enclosed version.

Kevin, I think they just haven't gotten around to updating the dimensions sheet. The brochure for the TM's state they all have the enclosures now, and shows that in the pictures, and the pricing shown also reflects the costs of the enclosures on all the models.

This is the way the world is going, people who have never had a real job putting costly rules in place to protect ourselves from ourselves until you might as well just stay in bed all day.

Paul T.
Power Technology

Wow, if that's true the value of a used one like mine will go up! ;-) The non-enclosure ones will really fit into tight places. My shop neighbors make stainless steel sheet metal stuff for kitchens and hotels and they made me a stainless splash guard system that works great. I like the open machine as it gives me a better view to scream NOOOOO and hit the stop button before I crash.

I do wigh I could find a good used 10 toll changer for mine – screw the CE certificate!

I had heard that from our sales guy at the HFO. It is nice to have the machine open, there are a lot of really long parts I've made that would have been more difficult with the enclosure on. We made up an enclosure that bolts on the table similar to the table enclosure Haas sells, it's easy to take it off if need be.

Other than the long part issue, you could just inhibit the door interlocks and have the same - but better.

I still have one open type VMC. It is really nice to be able to change parts on one side while it's werking on the other side. It can really make a significant difference on the total cycle times.

Of course it is nice for first parts off as well eh?

But with the full encloser - the coolant system can really be beefed up and really giv'r! Also the fact of a face mill flinging really hot chips. (That is an issue currently on our open machine.) You try to spin the bulk of them to the back, but sometimes you need to toss them the other way...

So I would say that a full encloser with the interlock inhibited would be a decent compromise. It would be better and safer than the open style, yet liabilities of an inhibited system could be an issue as well. ???

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You know, I will say it once here too.

On the face of it, that enclosure would be the most retarded idea anyone has ever come up with on a so called "toolroom" equipment.
I don't care if you are a jerkoff OSHA idiot, sitting behind the desk and come up with f@cked up ideas, or that your are an engineer and manufacturer who complies with the aforementioned moron's new policy.
Putting an enclosure around a machine which is intended to be used in a manual mode..... Imagine if your Hardinge chucker, MOnarch lathe, Bridgeport mill had an enclosure .....

Now on the back side, I think Haas should either forget about making "Toolroom" equipment ( specifically the TM line ) OR! make the miserable thing truly "toolroom", namely put an honest the god f@cking quill on them miserable things!
I mean really Guys! What good is that thing? Can anyone say that it is a viable replacement for a a Bridgeport with even just a lonely DRO, let alone a 2 or 3 axis retrofit which retains full useage of the quill?

I will tell you this. If they added a full manually controllable Z-movement ( ie. Quill ) I would dump the newly acquired Milltronics with the dumb-as-shit Centurion control, and I know at least 3 shops who would do the same for all of their Prototraks ( total number is 10+ machines )

As it stands tough, the TM is as useless for my purposes as tits on a bull, even without the enclosure. With it cluttering all the surrounding, it is nothing more than an ultra slow VF or Minimill.

My $.02 and am sticking to it.

You can't really use the mill in manual mode anyway. There is no handwheel or quill for the z axis and you can't reach the x axis handle and see the control at the same time. I guess you could if you folded the control all the way around and walked around to the side of the machine, but that's not really productive. The tm mills are cnc mills and don't work like a retrofitted knee mill.

otoh, I liked the table size and travels on my old TM. Two 6" kurts fit perfect on the table and setup was easy on the back. It was also good for rotary table work. single phase power is also nice if you don't have 3 phase.

You can't really use the mill in manual mode anyway. There is no handwheel or quill for the z axis and you can't reach the x axis handle and see the control at the same time. I guess you could if you folded the control all the way around and walked around to the side of the machine, but that's not really productive. The tm mills are cnc mills and don't work like a retrofitted knee mill.

My point exactly!

Get rid of them or make them truly "toolroom" machines.

Just look for a good used TM w/o the enclosure. Take your time and you will find what you are looking for and save $ for tooling. I like my TM1 100% (w/ tool changer) For splash I just use the magnetic mounted adjustable guards. If we did a ton of shell mill work it, we would need a different machine anyway. Pound for pound the TM1 is an incredible value.

(BTW I have the hand wheels on my 05' and never use them)

Mark

I'm looking for a used 10 tool toolchanger!

Can anyone post - or mail me - a couple of pics of your TM-1 with a toolchanger in close up showing the mounting location of the changer? I want to make sure my machine does indeed have the correct mounting points for a changer.

Yeah, I saw that. Looks like a lot of fun, but not for me. I need to be making parts with my machine not designing and making a toolchanger - as if I even could!

I had a TM1 in my shop and I loved it. Now I want another one so I guess I'm going to have to find a good used one. If you are going to buy the enclosed machine, you might as well buy a TM1P and get way covers and a tool changer. Or get the TM2P and upgrade the tool changer to 20 tools.

Old TM-1 and TM-2 would have been perfect for our work. Not anymore!

I run our model shop. I've been working with an ancient, manual Bridgeport for years. Our Bridgeport has been dying a slow death since about 2006, because the management wouldn't put any money into repairs. I've tried several times to get them to purchase a TM-2 or TM-1 for us. I figured it would be perfect fit for my work. The handwheels may not be convenient, but at least I would be able to get some work done, while I got up to speed on programming. 80% of my work is a one of a kind prototype or single piece tool. I don't really need CNC for that. But I also make large ABS panels with precisely drilled hole patterns. That takes forever on a manual Bridgeport. Especially when I have to move the panel, because I don't have enough "Y" travel on the Bridgeport. The TM-2 had enough travel to eliminate that. I wasn't worried about cooling, because most of my work is in aluminum or plastic. Our micro-mist system would work just fine. Nor am I worried about chips flying around the shop. Easy to setup a screen in front. Or just stand aside and sweep up later.

So now I find that they have completely enclosed the units. And I believe removed the handwheels. So this machine is not going to work for us. Anyone got any suggestions?

Back