What's new
What's new

considering a older VF-1

ewallace1

Plastic
I am looking at 2 older VF-1s one is a 1990 and the other is a 1993
I would be doing 416 SS parts and aluminum basic programs pockets and drilling mostly would one of these mills be a good starting point for a cnc mill
413.JPG

Regarding the mill in the picture, be aware that many of the parts in the control cabinet may no longer have direct replacement parts and retrofitable parts can get costly. Check it out carefully as this is one of the earliest models of Haas mills on the market so it most likely has seen its fair share of work and/or abuse.

Good luck.

Regarding the mill in the picture, be aware that many of the parts in the control cabinet may no longer have direct replacement parts and retrofitable parts can get costly. Check it out carefully as this is one of the earliest models of Haas mills on the market so it most likely has seen its fair share of work and/or abuse.

Good luck.

Yup...the good news is although pricey, the retrofitted parts "can" be recieved from Haas...did we mention pricey??

It's seems to be something like " you'll need a new style motor as we do not have the old ones anymore....and you'll need a new drive for that motor even though your old drive works perfect... cause the new motor won't work with the new drive."

I have one here, still makes good parts day in and day out. But each repair makes me wonder whether to fix it or drag it to the curb.

Also the older ones are a bit quirky at the control...No local subs, limited memory, ***Offsets are incremental from home, cabinets dark, RPM max out at 5000, only 16 tools in Carousel, I can pee harder then the coolant comes out and if you ever have to open the enclosure or pop a window out...a real bitch to put back on.

All in all...not a bad machine...just don't get one that was abused.

I think it really depends on what they were cutting. We have a 1993 vf-o that has never seen anything but alum and plastic. The last pm done on it the tech said everything was still in factory specs and in better shape then some of the mill he's seen 5 years old or newer. We did have to upgrade the processor and software which ran about $2200. That was two years ago and it still runs like a champ. If the ones you are looking at have been cutting a lot of steel I would be leery, but if the price is right , go for it.

Back