What's new
What's new

Haas Mini Mill 2

clarke692

Plastic
I was wondering if anyone out there is using a Haas mini mill 2 in a 3 shift, 5 day per week operation. If so, have you had any issues with the ball screws going out?

We purchased several of these machines a year ago, and have had all ball screws replaced. They could not trace the issue for sure, but thought it was do to our moving the machines. Now the first one that had been replaced started making noise and had to again be rreplaced...so I feel like I do have a screw loose!:crazy: I just wanted to know if any users had any similar issues, thanks.

What kinds of material are you cutting with the machines? How hard are you running them? 8, 12, or 24 hrs/day. High feed & speed machining?

The more details you can provide would be helpful. I would imagine the screws have lube lines going to them? and what screws are you losing? just x or y or z or all 3?

We are machining brass...all this machine is doing is centering, and drilling and tapping one hole in the head of a taper plug for a valve, and then milling a flat to accept a D washer during assembly of the valve. No high feeds or speeds but we run 24 hr a day, 5 days a week. Haas has replaced them all up to this point, just had another one go out last night that has been replaced once already. Have only had machines for 1 year. Lube does not seem to be the problem. Z axis screw is the one we keep losing. Just wondering if any other users have this issue, looking down the road ahead with what we have experienced so far, I am not very optimistic.

So x & y stay put most of the time? are those machines counterbalanced in any way? maybe carrying the whole weight of the head 24/5 is beating up the screws?

No high feeds or speeds but we run 24 hr a day, 5 days a week. . . . Z axis screw is the one we keep losing.

I'd take get one of the $75. infra-red heat sensor guns and see what the temp of the Z axis ball screw and nut are after its been running for a long period.

I'd also see if you could up the lube schedule and flow rate for that screw and its guide assembly also.

I'm not saying they can't do it, but Haas machines weren't really designed for 24/7 operation, so you might have to tweak the cooling and lubing for the high stressed parts for it to be able to run that way.

This sounds more like a job for a RoboDrill though.

Good luck-

Paul T.
Power Technology

Back