What's new
What's new

Everyone having to do Core Returns???

SIM

Titanium
Core charge on: A motor, a drive, a board...fine, I understand. They want the old stuff back to rebuild it and then resell it. Or from what I have heard, do some research to find out why it failed...maybe, maybe not. Or possible they want it back so you can't go in and fix it to reuse or sell. Whatever, fine, if the item is not returned you have to pay the core charge.

I'm not going into the electronics myself or tying up my tech friend to do it...even though I feel it's probable only a .15 resistor or something along that line that crapped out...I'm in the machining business, not electronics or Haas machine parts biz.

But now this seems to apply to little "Chatch Key" switches too. I used to buy one Limit Switch to replace and buy another to shelf, just in case. The wiring would be wrong...but it could be hardwired in just to get going. Or if the switch I took out was flaky, same thing it could be used in a pinch to get by. But now if you shelf the spare or the new without having an old to return your charged full price...$140 for a crappy limit switch. $70 is still alot for a crappy Limit Switch...but thats the game.

It's the penny pinching that really bothers me...

--Rant over--

We have to replace the A axis cable on our rotary table once a month since the pallet changer runs over it on occasion. We used to keep one on the shelf for a spare but they where carging a core for it so now we just splice them back together. I just swaped a spindle encoder belt and they wanted it back too.

Are you sure it isn't only your dealer dickin' with you?
I mean one of the best features of Haas is that you can get a great deal of the electronics off-the-shelf.
No reason for a $500 regen resistor when a $20 stove elemt will do.
One of the power supplies is a standard PC PS, while the others can be had from Digikey for around $250.
Connectors are Molex or similar garden variety, limit switches are Cherry or the like, so are the indicators, buzzers, display guts etc.
My guess would be that the dealer is looking to make up a little on service.

I mean one of the best features of Haas is that you can get a great deal of the electronics off-the-shelf.
No reason for a $500 regen resistor when a $20 stove elemt will do.
One of the power supplies is a standard PC PS, while the others can be had from Digikey for around $250.
Connectors are Molex or similar garden variety, limit switches are Cherry or the like, so are the indicators, buzzers, display guts etc.

Limit switches and many other items are as you say off the shelf items...however the cables are all made to size...yeah I know big deal...in a pinch I just hard-wire (splice in) till the new one arrives. Stupid Tool Release Switches as well come with Plug and play wireing (SP). although the last one I bought didn't plug into anything the way it should have and I had to splice it in. I was going to make a stink about paying $70 bucks for a $5 Momentary Switch that wasn't Plug and Play...but it was Saturday and I had it all apart ready to install.

As I said... its the penny pinching things that get me aggravated.

FYI, If you ever have to replace the rotory coupling for the TSC it has the manufacturers name and part number on it. Haas gets $900.00 plus core for it. Now keep in mind Haas unions are limited to 10K RPM. On the manufactures website they cant sell you this one but you can buy the 15K RPM for $340.00 with no core. There on the shelf ready to ship. Cant remember the name off hand but its on the unit.

Oh, and you can send your bad one in for rebuild less than $200.00

We just replaced an encoder, then got a fax saying that we would get billed for $700 if we didn't return the old one.

We've bought replacement encoder from them before and this wasn't the case. Must be something new.

What's odd about that though...

I asked the parts guy on the phone if they were rebuildable at all because we have another machine that needs 2, and he said they didn't really get involved in that so he wouldn't know.

I don't care because we can't use it anyway, but I thought it was strange that I asked that question and then we got that fax a couple days later.

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
We just replaced an encoder, then got a fax saying that we would get billed for $700 if we didn't return the old one.

Whats interesting about that is we had a Y axis encoder go out on a VF3-SS just out of waranty and Jefferies will no longer sell just the encoder. You now have to buy it attached to the motor.

Has anyone else noticed how difficult ordering Haas replacement parts is getting. I call up with a credit card number and part number and they tell me they have to email me first then I have to fill out the form then email it back then it has to be entered into the system before I can give a CC number. Just to order a part takes an hour now.

I cannot really complain about that. If my HFO does not have on the shelf they ship it in from Ca pretty quick. I will say from the time I ask for the part till the time they tell me its coming in with a price has gotten longer...used to be a couple seconds on the phone ...now I'll get a call sometime later....but I still get what I need.

I have noticed though the parts I need are now more of a "Kit" with crap I don't need that go along for the ride and I'm sure I have to pay for it as well. eg. Ordered a Tool Change Switch and got the Switch, the Switch Holder and an Adapter Plug. Needed a "Humphry Valve", I got the Valve along with hose, couplings, O-rings etc. Whatever...I was up and running so I was happy.

My dealer as well. Cables, encoders and every switch under the sun. The price for parts is cheap enough (when you factor in the core exchange), but it's a huge P.I.T.A. to ship back every little switch. Even bigger P.I.T.A. when the contract electrician pitches the "junk" cable and no one says anything until the dealer's bill shows.:angry:

My dealer as well. Cables, encoders and every switch under the sun. The price for parts is cheap enough (when you factor in the core exchange), but it's a huge P.I.T.A. to ship back every little switch. Even bigger P.I.T.A. when the contract electrician pitches the "junk" cable and no one says anything until the dealer's bill shows.:angry:

That hits the nail on the Head.

not to long after getting our VF3 we heard a click and then a loud noise form the motor gearbox area, called haas and they sent someone out and they said we had to replace the gearbox, ok no prob, but the prob is that the motor is attached and you can not seperate them or the warr is no good, we pulled it apart and found that the bearing in the spindle motor was bad, haas wanted 12k for the gearbox and motor with the core charge our bill would have been 7k the bearing cost me 30 bucks and changed it myself you gotta watch them at haas, after that i told myself i would never buy another haas and havent

I had to give HAAS back the worn out air nozzle, die springs (in small rusty pieces) from our SL-10 and sticky encoder belts etc... in order to get my 50% price. It becomes difficult to stock such items for quick fixes when the price has fluctuated so.

Back