What's new
What's new

Mill crashed

ashort

Aluminum
I just had my VF5 mill to crash. Decent sized chunk of aluminum came out of vise while I was face milling it. Stopped the spindle. Now I can enter a RPM command, and I here the motor turning, but the spindle is not turning. Does anybody got an idea of what exactly I broke, and how much it cost to have it fixed. I am pretty sure that this mill does not have a gear box and it has a max RPM of 15000. I don't really know the exact name for this type of drive system.

Appreciate any help.

At 15K rpm its probably a direct drive... no belt or gearbox. I'd guess there is a key'd coupler between the motor and spindle?

Once you replace the key or belt remember before doing a tool change you have to reset the spindle orient position or your gonna get another surprise.

From your discription I would say you snapped the drive belt, been there done that! Program a low speed, if the spindle is not turning but can turn easily by hand it's a major clue. Refrence your manual or call Haas direct if you do not have the service manual. It's not too complex a job to replace and if your like me and money is tight it is worth your time. Check a local industral drive house for the belt once removed.

PM me if you would like more detail.

I took the panel off today. It is a broken drive belt. I thought it would throw an alarm myself, but so far it hasn't. I am working on getting the service guy in here tomorrow. I could order the belt myself, but the service guy can get it here and install it before I could ever get the purchase order approved, then I would have to wait for it to ship and get here.

Whew...just a belt.

I had thought the belt went, but then there was Talk about Direct Drive. Not quite as quick and EZ then.

I think the Encoder only reads the spindle when Tapping and Orienting on the new machines, otherwise Speed indication comes from motor. So no alarm unless you do a Tapping cycle or Tool change.

Keep your fingers crossed that you didn't damge your spindle bearings also. I know of a few machines that lost belt from a crash and bearings went out a short time after. The "hit" from the crash was an impending death sentence to the bearings.

Back