What's new
What's new

Considering a Haas Mini Mill 2

Grose710

Plastic
Hey guys! so i wanted spmeone's opinion on the Mini Mill 2, how do they hold up against Stainless Steel series 300?? Here we run alot of aluminum and SS 304, we currently have a VF-4 apc and its great its a beefy machine but now were looking and upgrading some of our older machines and the mini mill 2 looks nice but i wanted to know your opinions.

I have a MM2. The only reason I got it, instead of a VF1, is because it would fit in my garage.

Compared to the VF1, the MM2 isn't very powerful, it isn't very rigid, and there isn't much price difference after you add rigid tapping and some other options that come standard on the VF1.

I like the MM2, but if you have the room, get the VF1.

If you know ahead of time that you want to run a fair amount of stainless, I'd definitely shy away from the Mini Mills. They're not very rigid at all. For example, you can put a test indicator in the spindle and zero against the table, then push/pull on the table by hand. I'm not a brute by any means, and I can move the table .005" without much effort. I think the average Bridgeport is more rigid.

With that said, they do have their place and are pretty good at some things. If all I planned to do was aluminum and plastic, I might put one in my own shop. However, I'm constantly running out of travel when using two 6" vises.

Thanks guys, I thought of the same thing, VF-1 starting price is the same as the SMM2. And its good to know the ones that have delt with them what they think of the MM, After looking at pricing and what would benefit our shop I think we may be looking at the VF2 and/or VF1, But thanks guys for your input.

Back